Sunday, March 12, 2006

Scipio Was Right

I have always tried to be the kind of person who admits when they are wrong or make a mistake. And so I'll say it right now: I was wrong and Scipio was right.

As those two posts indicate, I'm referring to the latest issue of Aquaman: Sword of Atlantis. Now I say what I say here with all due respect to Kurt Busiek (who is a brilliant writer and will kick wild and total ass as the writer on Superman). But I have to say that Sword of Atlantis really left me cold. Now I'm not jumping ship just yet, but I really don't know if this is the best direction for Aquaman. It's just not... Well, it's not "supeheroey" enough. Score another point for Scipio.

So I got to thinking; what would I have done with Aquaman (that is, Arthur Curry) in the OYL? So, here is my proposed solicit for an alternate universe Aquaman #40:

It's One Year Later... and Sub Diego has a new defender: Black Manta! But Manta's harsh reign is about to come to an end as Aquaman returns from the depths!

Simple, sweet, and quite the setup. And as is fitting with the OYL concept, there are a lot of questions: where has Aquaman been? Why has the U. S. government put up with Black Manta running free in Sub Diego? And what is Arthur hiding under those awesome green gloves of his?

So, tell me: would you have been interested in picking up the book based on that solicit? If not, what would your perfect Aquaman: OYL concept have been?

3 Comments:

At 2:12 AM, Blogger Ragnell said...

Didn't Scipio recant?

 
At 2:48 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Did he? That's not the sense I got from that post. I thought it was more of a "go ahead, tell me you loved it. Oh? You can't? I am vindicated!"

But like I said in the post, I could be wrong.

 
At 2:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So, tell me: would you have been interested in picking up the book based on that solicit? If not, what would your perfect Aquaman: OYL concept have been?"

Quite frankly... no. Black Manta: done that. Ditto Sub-Diego. DC's objective is not necessarily to please the dozens of hard-core Aquaman fans, but to entice new readers. Black Manta and Sub-Diego have failed to do that. We'll see if Busiek's ideas do.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home