Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Who's That Girl?


So I have to admit that I was a bit taken aback by the images that accompanied the interview with Tony Bedard where he talks about taking over Supergirl.

When I started looking at the images I thought to myself: "who is this incredibly normal looking girl who happens to be wearing Supergirl's costume? Certainly she cannot be Supergirl, as this girl seems to look like an actual human being."

Or Kryptonian, as the case may be. My point is this artwork by Renato Guedes is amazing. It's some of the most realistic art I've ever seen put forth for a super-hero comic book. Supergirl looks like a girl. She looks cute in a way that's not overly or overtly sexualized. And I like it.

And to top it off, Bedard seems to have a refreshing take on the character. Here's hoping he can give her some stability. Because right now, Supergirl's all over the map. She needs some constancy in her own book. Maybe she needs a secret identity. Maybe she needs to go to school. I don't know. But she needs something.

I hope she gets it, because despite myself I've started to like her. She's a teenager who's different and doesn't fit in. And I think most of us (at least those of us who are reading comics) can relate to that.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 10:07 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm just so befuddled. That's Supergirl? She's...amazing! A real Teenager, a real girl! I
WILL be picking this up.

Sadly, I have actually read comments where guys are complaining, that she's not sexy enough.

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger cardboardjudas said...

Yeah i'm going to pick up Supergirl now because of Bedard's attitude towards the character and even more so because of the art.

If i was still a kid in high school this is the kind of supergirl i'd be crushing on, you know if she also went to my high school and was real...

i'm really not sick...

really

 

Post a Comment

<< Home