Monday, January 10, 2011

The New (New) Wonder Woman

I was never particularly enthusiastic about J. Michael Straczynski's run on Wonder Woman. I initially had high hopes for Superman, but have since been disappointed. But I never had any particular feelings about what he was doing with Wonder Woman.

Still, I've read and mostly enjoyed the story. I like these kinds of alternate history things, and the time change with Diana seems to be playing into issues with time in Generation Lost and other comics. And you all know how much I like it when things connect.

Things have been changing recently, however. Mr. Straczynski is leaving Wonder Woman (and Superman) before his stories are done. Phil Hester is taking over on Wonder Woman and I'm actually starting to get excited about the book.

I can't say what exactly it is. But a lot of it may have to do with Mr. Hester's enthusiasm. Back when I was reading interviews with Mr. Straczynski about Wonder Woman there didn't seem to be much of that. It almost felt like he was told: "if you want to write Superman then you have to write Wonder Woman too."

I doubt that's how it went down, but there was definitely an enthusiasm gap in regards to the two books. Mr. Straczynski was definitely excited about writing for Superman. And that enthusiasm was infectious for me.

Phil Hester seems to have the same sort of enthusiasm for writing for Wonder Woman. He seems genuinely excited about the opportunity to pull out old Wonder Woman villains and throw them at our heroine. And I'm starting to feel a little of that tingle of excitement again.

To Mr. Hester I say: well done, sir. You've definitely got me on board. And if you give us the return of Doctor Domino I'll sing your praises to the ends of the earth.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

At 6:04 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Agreed. His time has come again.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home