Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Addicted to Fun

I always kind of laugh when I see message board posts along these lines:

"If [comic book company] does that, I'll drop [comic title]!"

"Since [comic book company] did that to [favorite character] I'll never buy anything [comic book company] publishes ever again!"

"That's it. Because [comic book company] did [mildly irritating thing] I'm quitting comics. For good."

You know why I laugh? Because I don't really believe it. Not for a second.

People like me -- and probably you -- have an addiction. I don't say that to make light of people with actual serious diseases. I say it because it's really true. I don't think I could stop reading comic books even if I wanted to. And if I did, I'd go through some serious withdrawal.

So I find it suspect when people say, oh... "The Flash is my favorite character but I'm going to stop reading the comic because of this!" I mention this of course, because some people have been very upset about DC's little switcheroo. I admit, I found it kind of clever. Because either way, I'm buying Flash.

And like it or not, most of those people who say they'll give up on it when Flash #231 comes out are going to buy it too. Some are being being disingenuous. Others are merely deluding themselves. Because as much as we'd sometimes like to kick that weekly habit, most of us can't.

Thank God!

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 8:23 AM, Blogger Zundian said...

Actually, after Incredible Hulk #467 8/98 (Peter David's last issue) I didn't read another Marvel Comic until I heard he was coming back for an arc on volume 2. So that's what a good 6 & 1/2 years?

 
At 10:13 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, it does seem to the the nerd version of stomping one's foot and holding one's breath.

Heck, if they bring back Wally or Barry, I'm going to START reading Flash! (Although I must admit to being a little nervous about what they are planning for Kyle over in Green Lantern)

 
At 12:39 PM, Blogger Matthew E said...

My favourite was the guy whose comment I read on one message board. He's a big Ted Kord fan and therefore bitterly hates and resents Jaime Reyes. So much so that, of course, he's not collecting the current Blue Beetle title. Which is not uncommon. But it also means that, since Jaime Reyes is appearing in an upcoming issue of Teen Titans, he's dropping Teen Titans for good. Which will save him some money, and I hope he uses this money to buy a ladder and get over himself.

 
At 6:21 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I find it much easier to drop a comic lately. Sure I'm a junkie. But its not like the shelves aren't packed with alternate sources for me to score a fix...

Fed up with Bendis' Avengers? Why hello there Williams' ps238. Sick of the slow pace on Meltzer's JLA? Welcome to the non-stop action awesome that is Invincible. I still buy stuff from DC or Marvel, but they're far from the only place I can get a cape fix...

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All this blah blah is definetely a bunch of junkies bitching about the cost of their latest score, or how their dealer cuts his Heroin with too much Bendis. Sure, you can try some Invincibles for a while, but there'll be a day when you just need a fix and it won't be there. So you'll come running back to JLA.

You may have given up for six years, but you're back. There's no such thing as an ex-cape fanatic. One day at a time, my friends.

 
At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

But I like Bart, I read Impulse when I was younger, I read Young Justice, the only reason I started reading Teen Titans was because he joined the team. And now it seems like he's just going to blink out of existence because the creative teams on his book can figure out how to hook an audience.

It's like Nightwing, his book sucks because they are trying to make him into Batman, grim and gritty, when he should be all about making fun of bad guys and trying to hook up with Starfire or Barbara Gordon. I know you won't like this analogy, but he's basically DC's Spiderman, only they've taken out all the funny quips and replaced it with even more ANGST.

I probably will stop reading Flash when they move away from Bart, but it's true, as long as there is a comic with Nightwing I'll read it. It just makes me sad that the things I like in comics aren't popular enough to maintain books.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home