Tuesday, January 11, 2011

I'm Skeptical

Okay, so are there actually people out there who like Lobo? Are there people who are honestly fans of the character? I have a hard time believing that.

As far as I understand it, Lobo began as sort of a parody of the excesses of comics in the 1980's (and later the 1990's). But it seems that at some point along the way people started to take the character seriously. And we ended up with what we have today.

I'm having trouble finding the tings that make the character appealing to his mysterious "fanbase." I can only assume that these imaginary people are seriously disturbed. I say this because I can't see why anyone would want to read about Lobo -- let alone a solo story about the character.

In reading Weird Worlds I completely skimmed through the Lobo portion. I was uninterested and mostly bored. I found the Aaron Lopresti Garbage Man story to be really good, though. Then I kind of zoned out during the Tanga tale which again left me cold.

This is frustrating for me, and it's a problem with anthologies. What does a guy do who only likes two out of the three stories in a three story anthology? Does he continue reading it o enjoy the story he likes and just ignore the others? Or does he give up the ghost?

I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. But I am sure that I can't stand Lobo.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 8:01 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I almost picked this up, mainly for the Kevin Maguire artwork...but I do have to say that a little bit of Lobo goes an awfully long way.

 
At 10:55 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Yes, but they never give us just a little bit of Lobo. They always give us way too much...

 
At 2:03 PM, Anonymous r duncan said...

I liked Lobo in the L.E.G.I.O.N. series. I like his occassional confrontations with other DC characters except for the fact that they always end the same: a hero who supposedly represents "justice" letting a known mass murderer off scott free.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home