Monday, February 28, 2011

In Praise of Winick

I come here tonight to sing the praises of one Judd Winick.

Now I know this is probably not going to be a particularly popular thing to say. Judd Winick is a heated topic among comic fans. Apparently you either love him or you hate him. Unless, of course, I'm thinking of the mysterious "Judd Winnick" that I keep hearing about...

Seriously, though... Justice League: Generation Lost is a really fun book. I don't know about the other people reading it, but I find it consistently entertaining. What's more, I find that I look forward to it even more than I do Brightest Day. I think that's saying something.

Now it's true that Generation Lost has brought back the villainous Max Lord. I know that a great many people don't like that turn for the character. I can understand that; I still have some trouble seeing it myself. But at the very least Judd Winick seems to be making the best of it (through liberal use of retcons).

Speaking of retcons, you know what else is great? Power Girl. While it's true that nobody can replace the style of Palmiotti, Gray, and Conner, Judd Winick and Sami Basri have managed to make their version of Power Girl work in their own way. It's just flat out fun super-heroics.

Now, I'm sure I haven't convinced anyone one way or another. If you already liked Judd Winick then you probably agree with what I've said. And if you don't like him then nothing I say is going to change your mind. I just thought I'd share the why and how of the fact that I really dig what he's doing right now.

And to remind everyone that it's spelled "Winick."

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 5:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

I've also been enjoying JL:GL. Other characters and titles have done "what if everything you knew was forgotten" storyline, but this one is intriguing and has been holding my interest since it began. Maxwell Lord was never doing to be one of DC's top villains, but he certainly works well against the Justice League.

 
At 6:29 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Arrrrggghhhhh! When I don't hate him, I...grudgingly...agree that he can actually write reasonably well. He can also write dreadfully. So so dreadfully.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home