Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Flashpoint #1

Flashpoint somehow managed to exceed all my expectations.

Now, my expectations were always pretty mid-range for this particular event. I've never had any huge interest in Barry Allen as a character. But the way things turned out... I think even if my expectations had been high Flashpoint would have surpassed them.

The first reason is this: Flashpoint isn't just a story about the Flash. It's a story about the DC Universe and its history. Its about the things that make the DCU what it is. And everybody knows I love that kind of stuff.

Flashpoint gave me that in spades. A few "what ifs" and everything we know is altered... Mostly. Some things seem to be the same, but there are certain divergence points that have left a world a lot darker than the one we know.

Among the highlights were seeing a Barry Allen I could actually relate to. A man frustrated with the pace of life and his place in it. This isn't the life that Barry wanted... But it's the life he might have had if he'd never become the Flash.

Another cool bit was the chance to see Cyborg shine among a range of altered heroes and villains. Geoff Johns has talked Cyborg up for years. Let's see if he can really make him into a tip tier character.

The best thing about the issue for me was -- and this is a spoiler -- the identity of Batman. I called it correctly and I'm glad that I did. Because I know that this story will be richer and more interesting with Thomas Wayne as Batman. Because what wouldn't he risk to give his son a chance and life? And will Barry Allen risk that if it means the loss of his mother?

Flashpoint #1 has done exactly what a comic is supposed to do: it's made me frustrated as hell that I've got to wait a month for the next issue.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

At 2:32 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Yeah, that thing with Batman did catch me by surprise. I have to admit that I enjoyed Flashpoint a heck of a lot more than I did regular Flash.

 
At 2:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice job with the prediction! I didn't even guess it until a few pages from the end. I'm generally pretty impressed with your predictions, even when they don't come true.

 
At 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It also looks like the Outsider is a White Martian, not Lex Luthor (despite the baldness and suit).

 
At 8:31 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

you are invited to follow my blog

 

Post a Comment

<< Home