Monday, May 02, 2011

Surprise Surprise

What is the most shocking news of the past week?

Might it be President Obama's surprise release of his long form birth certificate?

Or perhaps it is the astonishing announcement that terrorist mastermind Osama bin Laden has been killed?

I submit that neither of these is the most surprising event of the past week. Here's the real winner: DC Comics won an award... for Rise of Arsenal.

You remember that story, right? It's the one where Roy Harper goes crazy, gets back on drugs, and then hallucinates that a dead cat is his daughter.

It was not a pretty story. But that doesn't mean that the award might not have been well-deserved. After all, it's a PRISM Award, and Rise of Arsenal got it for its "accurate portrayal of mental health/drug issues."

Is that an accurate assessment of Rise of Arsenal? It's hard to say, as I've never been addicted to heroin. When I say that I mean it in all seriousness: I don't have any personal experience with such a situation. I can only assume that the people who choose the winners of the PRISM Awards do have some expertise in that issue.

And if so, drug addiction is far scarier than I ever imagined it.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 5:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hilarious!!! The "Rise of Arsenal" series was _so_ bad.

Thanks for sharing the news. I needed a laugh.

 
At 2:46 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well...if nothing else, I can honestly say that I never EVER want to use drugs...at least not the kind that make me use dead cats as weapons.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home