Friday, October 27, 2006

Religion

I'm concerned about the religious state of the DCU.

As you know, I myself am quite religious. Though He brainwashed me and continues to haunt me as a malevolent spirit, I nonetheless continue to venerate the venerable Saint Dumas. (may praising Him free me from the unending, unceasing torment!) But we see very little of the religion of most of the others in the DCU.

Does Hal Jordan attend church? Is Superman really a Methodist? Is Batman an Episcopalian or what? I know Huntress is a lapsed Catholic (we've got a lot in common, what with the horrible, crushing, unending guilt).

The only religious types we routinely see are the craaaazy cult types. Like Mr. Bruno Mannheim's Church of Crime, The Kali-Yuga Kobra Cult (or is that Kult?), and yes, my very own Order of St. Dumas. (may His name be praised!)

I guess what I'm saying is that people like me don't seem to have a place in the DCU anymore. Now I'm not saying they kicked me out because I'm religious (though that's as good a theory as any). But when was the last time you saw a superhero who really believed in something?

And no, Zauriel doesn't count.

3 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How come Zauriel doesn't count? I kind of dug the way he served in the JLA, alongside Graeco-Pagan Diana, brittle tetchy Catholic Helena, and a couple of in-person New Gods, with never ever the slightest hint of religious friction, but any time he got in the same room with The Spectre there would be this shouting match. Irony's the wrong word for it, but I dunno what the right one is.

 
At 12:13 AM, Blogger Azrael said...

Well, I only mean he doesn't count in that he doesn't really have to *believe*, you know? He already KNOWS.

But I take your point. In fact, I stand corrected. Zauriel now counts. I imagine there's a lot we could talk about...

 
At 7:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought I had an original idea about this topic, but then I found this site,
http://www.adherents.com/lit/comics/comic_book_religion.html
which pretty exhaustively covers every idea I ever had about religion in comics, and then some. So ahmina just coast.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home