Sunday, June 24, 2007

Here's to the Flash

So like a lot of people I've been thinking about the Flash lately. With all the things that happened in Justice League of America and The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive it's kind of hard not to think about the Flash.

There's been talk about what happened to Bart Allen and there's been talk about Wally and Barry as well. But the important thing -- to me anyway -- is that we've been talking about the Flash.

When people think about the DC Universe, they're usually Batman and Superman and Wonder Woman. All too often the Flash gets left out of the equation. It's all too easy to dismiss the Flash as a guy who just "runs fast." But that sells the Flash short.

I'm reminded of the often brilliant Justice League Unlimited. There's a great story in there titled "A Better World". It's about an alternate universe populated by evil versions of the Justice League. You know what set them off? It was the death of their Flash. The Flash of their world was their anchor. And without a Flash, everything fell apart.

I'm having a hard time really getting out how important the Flash is to the DC Universe -- and to me. The Justice League of America has felt a little off for me since it started. It's not because Brad Meltzer is writing or because Geo-Force is on the team. It's not even because they all call each other by their first names. It's because until issue #10, they didn't have a Flash.

That red blur is always there. That red blur must be there. Because if the Justice League holds the DCU together -- and it does -- then the Flash holds the League together. I can abide the League without Aquaman. I can handle it without the Martian Manhunter. But a Justice League without a Flash? That is truly inconceivable.

Luckily for us, the Flash is there. Whether he's giving his life for thousands -- or running to save a single life -- the Flash is always there. And we can be certain that whoever wears the suit will be someone of courage and honesty. Because the Flash runs for hope. The Flash runs for truth. The Flash runs for life.

So here's the the Flash, whoever he may be...

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 11:39 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I think you've hit the proverbial nail on the head. I'm sorry about Bart, but boy am I glad to have Wally back!

Now if we could just trade Geo Force for J'onn.

 
At 9:55 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

The original Giffen Justice League has no Flash. Wally was still a Titan and doesn't join the League until after they become the JLI...

 
At 3:33 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I never read that Justice League, so I can't speculate on it. But I will say that members of iterations of the League *without* Flashes have suffered horrible deaths.

Just sayin'...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home