Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Where's the Giant Monkey?

Are there any villains in the Marvel Universe?

I ask this only because it seems like "heroes" in the Marvel Universe do nothing but fight other "heroes." Every time there's a big event or a touted special issue it's about one of the "good guys" beating up on another one of the "good guys."

Civil War of course is the obvious one. Petty infighting was the point of all that, after all. And World War Hulk is a bunch of "heroes" fighting the Hulk. Who I thought was supposed to be kind of a good guy at one point.

Heck, even the big deal about issue #3 of Thor is the fact that Thor's fighting Iron Man. Why is that? Doesn't Thor have any villains or monsters he could fight? I'd think that would be a lot more interesting than seeing him pound on Tony Stark for twenty-two pages.

But then, I'm not exactly the target audience. I like watching Superman fight giant monkeys, after all. Nobody ever seems to fight giant monkeys in the Marvel U...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8:45 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

To see heroes fight actual villains, you kind of have to stay away from the core of the Marvel Universe, the places where WWH and Civil War are taking center stage. That's what I've been doing, gradually moving most of my purchases to what I consider the edge of Marvel, and it seems to increase my happy factor.

As for giant monkeys, maybe DC has some sort of copyright on that. Marvel has the Super Apes, but they aren't giant or anything. I don't know, I've never been a fan of monkeys, personally.

 
At 11:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

As far as I can tell, all the villains are now working for Tony Stark and his never-ending quest to round up all the unregistered heroes. 'Cause having the Green Goblin and Venom working for the government is GOOD, and having unregistered heroes saving people is BAD.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

The Big Monkey?

Washington DC, of course.

 
At 11:19 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

Actually, if you listen to the most recent Big Monkey Podcast, we discuss this very issue ... and answer your question!

 
At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, maybe Joe Quesada has put a hold on any monkey fighting so his Marvel Apes thing can get going...

Even though it is a rip of Grodd's plan from Justice League Unlimited.

 
At 6:56 PM, Blogger Jeff said...

I think because, outside of his own book, Tony Stark is less a hero, than a red and gold Doctor Doom. I'm looking forward to the Thor beatdown, but I am also looking forward to Thor beating up villains. and currently, I don't see much of a difference.

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

There were some villains in Omega Flight. Even if it sucked. And I've seen a few D-list bad guys get beat up in New Warriors. Plus of course there is Super-Villain Team Up MODOK's 11. So there is where most of the villains are. Working for the Thunderbolts, Initiative or MODOK. Or Canada...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home