Tuesday, November 11, 2008

What Ever Happened To...

I was rereading my Doctor Mid-Nite trade paperback today (something I do often that you should do as well). And I got to wondering: what the hell happened to Camilla Marlowe?

If you've read Wagner and Snyder's masterful reinterpretation of Doctor Mid-Nite -- the version that to this day stalks comics from JSA to Blue Beetle -- then you know who I'm talking about.

Camilla Marlowe was Pieter Cross's "sort of" sidekick and confidant who also might have been his love interest. They initially met when they were both buying drugs from a street dealer (if you don't know what I'm talking about, read the trade!)

Anyway, Camilla can't go out in the daytime -- she's got a skin condition that makes the sun burn her. Despite this setback (because of it?) she is incomparably awesome. She's smart, sexy, and ass-kicking when the situation calls for it. She's also inexplicably intertwined with Doctor Mid-Nite and his origin.

But after the last page closes on the Doctor Mid-Nite miniseries, we don't see Camilla again. We see lots of Doctor M. But absolutely nothing of Camilla Marlowe. I do not know why this should be. But it's always pissed me off.

You can't do Superman without Lois Lane. And you really can't do Doctor Mid-Nite without Camilla Marlowe. I'm not asking for her to get a solo series. She doesn't even need get face time. But she needs to be mentioned. Pieter Cross was devoted to his city. He was devoted to Camilla. But we never see or hear much of either of them.

I understand that he mostly shows up in ensemble casts. But there is so much more to Doctor Mid-Nite than him being the "go to" guy when a super-hero gets hurt. It doesn't do the character justice.

Bring back Camilla!

Labels:

8 Comments:

At 7:48 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I must admit that I don't know that much about Dr. Mid-Nite, although I've always liked what I've seen of him. But I also have to admit that I've never even HEARD of Camilla Marlowe.

I guess this means I'll have to go out and get this trade.

 
At 9:48 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

If you can find it, you really, *really* should. I'm not lying when I say it's an amazing piece of work. It's Matt Wagner, after all...

 
At 1:08 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Got the trade randomly some place a long time ago...can't remember where for the life of me.

I think in general the whole series should be brought back. The tone of the mini-series had a nice kinda noir/Super hero-ish feel to it that I have yet to see again.

"Dead, She Said" & "Hawaiian Dick" both come close but the super-hero element is lacking.

After recent cancellations, it's not like DC doesn't have some extra space for a new title.

 
At 8:04 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Woohoo! Just found the trade at my beloved local Comic Book Store. Now I just have to find the time to sit down and actually read it.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Michael May said...

I'd forgotten all about her. I don't read JSA, but I would TOTALLY read a Doctor Midnight ongoing that followed in Wagner's footsteps.

I agree that there's so much untapped potential with the Doc.

 
At 8:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dr. Mid-Nite has become - has been reduced to - Physician To The Superheroes. He doesn't get a supporting cast; he is, instead, everybody else's supporting cast.

There really isn't much left of the character from his origin miniseries. If he got his own series, he would undoubtably get his own interests back - his commitment to his city, his concern for those affected by poverty and drugs, his attempts to redeem those lost to the criminal underworld. And of course his supporting cast, including Camilla and several others.

But for now he's just the doctor that the superhero teams have on speed dial. It's too bad. He used to help the less fortunate; now he heals the godly.

 
At 7:56 AM, Blogger Adam said...

I agree that its sad that Dr Midnite has been reduced as character from the heights of the Wagner run. Having said that I do still like the current version a lot and at least he's still in comics rather than completely disappearing into limbo.

also nick if you want a noir/superhero book can i reccomend Madroxxx and X-factor from Marvel. A Peter David book that explicitly seeks to do a noir superhero tale. X-factor is the follow up to the madroxx mini. Not only is it the best x-book currently on the market but along with incredible hercules, invincible iron fist and avengers the initiative it's the best ongoing marvel publishes right now.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I use to really dig X-Factor up until the whole Quicksilver storyline...it was pretty much around then it started to lose the noir feel for me. I do wholeheartedly agree however that Incredible Hercules is probably the best title Marvel publishes right now, easily.

Now if Marvel could just bring back Agents of Atlas

 

Post a Comment

<< Home