Monday, May 04, 2009

The Next Batgirl

The big comic news today is the official announcement of the long rumored Batgirl series. The Source says it's starting in August and they've posted the first cover:

It's a gorgeous image, but it raises a lot of questions. If I'm not mistaken, Dan DiDio mentioned not long ago that Cassandra Cain was being separated from the Bat Family of comics. And yet here we see a Batgirl wearing Cassandra's costume -- down to the stitches on the mask.

What does it mean? Did DiDio lie? He's certainly done it before and it wouldn't bother me if he did again. I'm in favor of misdirection by the guys in charge so that some surprises will be preserved.

On the other hand we've got Oracle: The Cure with it's very suggestive title. I've mentioned my before my distaste with the idea of Barbara Gordon returning to being Batgirl. But my opinion on that matter doesn't carry any weight, and DC will do what DC will do.

Still, that image could be anyone. Cover images can't be taken literally. The torn out front of the mask could be Cassandra changing her attitude and outlook or it might be someone different making Cassie's costume her own.

Whoever it is, that's another book for my pull list...

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 8:41 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

First thought upon seeing the cover: "Yes, I'm BatGIRL! See my D-cups?"

Second thought -- Her mask looks like it's STITCHED to her FACE. Wow, that's hardcore!

;-)

 
At 9:27 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I didn't catch that, as I'm not particularly skilled in the estimation of breast sizes. :-P

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger Christian Zamora said...

I'm so curious about this series. It's definitely not Cassandra. And I hope it's not Barbara. Either way, I'm in :D

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Why so sure it's not Cassandra? I'm in either way, but I'm curious as to the reasoning...

 
At 4:02 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, my choice for the role is Ma Hunkel.

Really, could it be anyone else?

 
At 3:52 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well, I'd like for it to be Cassandra, 'cuase if she's still Batgirl, it means she's still doing the hero thing, and hasn't hopped back on the crazy train (in theory).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home