Monday, October 18, 2010

Looking Ahead

I'm going to be honest: I'm a bit embarrassed by this blog.

Now, I'm not embarrassed that I read and write about comic books. Or that I lend space to a supervillain. No, I'm embarrassed because I don't post enough.

I mean, honestly; four days out of seven? You would think I could do better than that. I enjoy writing this blog, but sometimes time gets away from me, especially during the weekends. And Doctor Polaris and Azrael can't shoulder a burden that is mine alone to bear. I'll try to get things in a shape a bit more, but as a graduate student I can no promises.

Anyway: Cassandra Cain! She got mentioned in a comic last week! By name. By Batman. Does this bode well for the future? I do not know. But I can tell you this: the explanation Batman gives for her disappearance (retcon though it may be) really helps said disappearance make more sense.

Cassandra was always the surrogate child who tried the hardest to please Batman. She looked up to and idolized him a way similar -- but still very different -- to the other bat-kids. She wanted to make him proud of her in the way her real father never could.

As such, if he told her that he wanted her to do something in the case of his disappearance or death she would follow those instructions. Because as much as she always idolized him she also trusted him. And because she -- like Tim -- probably never believed that he would stay gone.

I'm also happy to hear (again, retcon or not) that Tim has maintained contact with Cassandra. Though the two of them are very different people, they share a lot in common. Though they were never close during their time together they are kindred spirits of a sort.

I'm hoping that Cassandra gets some serious face time in Red Robin. I hope the dangling plot-threads left behind by her disappearance can be tied up. But most of all I hope she finds a place where I can go back to reading about her every month.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 7:17 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I'd be happy to see Cass in a comic on a regular basis. Well, there would be trepidation about how she'd be written, but assuming that wasn't an issue, then I'd be really happy.

I would like to see her and Steph spend some time together, either crimefighting, talking, or doing some everyday activity. Or all three.

 
At 3:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Don't be too tough on yourself. Any day with a blog post from you is a great day!

Don't give up in frustration or make an official hiatus, like Scipio.

On the Cassandra issue, I too was thrilled to see that her disappearance was part of Batman's plan all along. (yeah, of course it is a retcon--but a decent one.)

The Batman family of books is performing so well together now, it is reminding me of the quality of the Death of Superman and Four Supermen era--really great!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home