Wednesday, December 01, 2010

I Love Trash

Curse the holidays! I didn't realize until I got to the comic book store today that comics are delayed. I can only assume that this is because of the festivals and making merry of the previous week. Was it worth it? I can't see how.

Without new comics, what can I talk about? How about this: I think I might buy Weird Worlds just for the "Garbage Man" story.

I don't know why, but I've always enjoyed the "monster as hero" tales, which is exactly how Aaron Lopresti describes his Garbage Man character. It seems that in some ways they're trying to use him as a replacement for Swamp Thing (who appears to still be trapped in the Vertigo ghetto).

Now, I haven't read much Swamp Thing stuff, as I'm firmly entrenched in the DCU and Swamp Thing hasn't been a real part of it for a long time. But I've always been intrigued by the character and had been meaning to look into more stories. I got a taste of the character with the Swamp Thing/Batman story from Batman: Hidden Treasures and I really enjoyed it. The "misunderstood monster" is a character we haven't seen much in recent years and there's still a lot that can be done with it.

Will Lopresti's Garbage Man fill that slot? I believe Lopresti said that Garbage Man would be meeting Batman early on. Done right, Garbage Man could be a fresh and interesting addition to the DC Universe.

Okay, maybe "fresh" isn't the best word. But you know what I mean...

Labels: , , ,

2 Comments:

At 7:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are so much better than DC's marketing department at making me want to buy the things they put out. Comics are more exciting when you blog about them. Just so you know!

 
At 8:54 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Thanks for that! It means a lot! I just wish I had more time to blog these days...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home