Tuesday, November 02, 2010

Small Town Values

I'm actually very much looking forward to this new Superboy series. You may not know, but I grew up in a town not so far removed from Smallville.

Granted, my hometown isn't quite as small as the Smallville we see in the comics. But it shared a number o similar features nonetheless. After all, I grew up with a corn (sometimes soybean) field across the street from my house.

As such, I fell like I understand the dynamics of "Small town America" better than some. And that's why I know there will be plenty of conflict for the Superboy comic. Because as idyllic as small towns may seem, there's always something else going on under the surface.

Small towns have as much going on in them as big cities do. These things are just of a different scale. Even outside of the DCU there are a lot of things that can happen in a small Midwestern town. How much more can happen in a world of super-heroes and villains?

Labels:

1 Comments:

At 3:28 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Frankly, I've always thought that small towns have MORE going on than in big cities! Everybody knows everyone else, and they seem to have more time on their hands or something.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home