Monday, December 19, 2005

The Door

It looks like I'm not the only one who's getting fed up.

Maybe I should explain. I've always accepted comics' Revolving Door of Death™. But I've never liked it. And it looks like the folks at DC are starting to feel the same way. The hints have been there, but Teen Titans #30 has made clear that there's something seriously wrong with life and death in the DC Universe.

Raven even goes so far as to pinpoint when it started: The Return of Superman. This does make a certain amount of sense. Sure, people came back to life before that, but the speed of resurrections has certainly been kicked up since Superman's return. The most important thing about the Teen Titans revelations, however, is the acknowledgment that people coming back from the dead is not normal. This is a big shift from the traditional comic view of death.

And what does this mean? The ramifications are potentially huge. Dan DiDio has said before that after Infinite Crisis dead will mean dead. I was skeptical at first, but now I'm beginning to think that maybe they're all serious. It wouldn't be hard for DC Editorial to simply say NO to any further character resurrections. I for one would welcome that change (even if it means no more Doctor Polaris!).

If this shift really does come to pass, then maybe it'll shut up the people who can't stop whining about the dead. What I do know is that a change like that will make the DCU that much more exciting -- and dangerous. And danger equals drama.

Bring on the deaths, and keep them dead.

5 Comments:

At 1:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your post inspired me to create a little poll, check it outhere.

Personally I'm glad people are going to stay dead. It was getting a little creepy.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Ragnell said...

I'd prefer they shut it after Donna dies again and Katma & Ice slip back through, but if they must, they must!

I don't mind resurrections so much, but It's starting to bug me that the only females who make it back are Donna Troy and Jean Guy. Repeatedly.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Seriously, I'd love this, but two things must happen first. One, Spoiler comes back to life. Two, Jean Grey somehow gets shunted to DC, dies and then stays that way. I'm just really tired of the endless cycle of death and rebirth she's doing. We get it, phoenix, rising from the ashes and all that! Enough already!

 
At 11:56 AM, Blogger kalinara said...

Yeah, I don't mind the occasional dramatic return from the dead. I've been enjoying Jason Todd. Superman's return was good too.

And I'll see Ragnell's Ice and Katma and raise one Ted Kord.

But if death were more permanent for everyone I wouldn't mind as much. It's just...why is Donna's return the end of such things? Why can't it be Ice, Katma, Ted or Dr. Polaris? Why can't a good character merit the last resurrection of modern comics? (heh, we'll see how long that lasts anyway. I'm skeptical.)

Leave Donna dead!

 
At 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well technically I'm thinking Brother Blood was the last risen so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home