Tuesday, February 07, 2006

One Year Earlier, Part 5

Ah, the first real covers for 52 have been released. It's about time. One Year Later is almost upon us. I've already hit the "final" issues of three books this month. I guess my mind hasn't been processing the fact that it's February... But enough talk: on with the countdown!

23. Wedding Bells: One of the DCU's most eligible bachelors finally meets the super-woman who can tame him enough to settle down.

Two possibilities here as far as I'm concerned -- and neither of them who you probably think. I'll say it right out: Bruce Wayne is not getting married. He's not marrying Catwoman, he's not marrying anyone.

Who is getting married? It's either going to be Oliver Queen or Hal Jordan. Why would it be one of them? Precisely because they seem the least likely. DC's doing all they can to pull the rug out from under us. Bonus: if Ollie gets married it won't be to Dinah Lance.

24. The Mad Genius: Writer Grant Morrison will be unleashed upon the DCU once more, bringing with him the seemingly endless fountain of new concepts and characters he displayed in JLA and Seven Soldiers.

Oh, this is a very good thing. It took me awhile, but I just love Morrison's stuff. Seven Soldiers freakin' rules. As long as I see the new Shining Knight and Bulleteer at some point during 52, I'll be happy.

25. Final Farewell: Some members of the team Donna Troy took into space during Infinite Crisis won't be back by the first issue of 52, and some won't be coming back at all.

Please be Donna Troy, please be Donna Troy. I just want that bitch to die.

26. Wind of Change: A new Red Tornado unlike anything that's come before will ride the eye of the storm into 52 and possibly beyond.

This is unsettling, as Reddy is one of my favorite characters. Still, I could totally handle a new Red Tornado. Especially a female one. In fact, that's what I predict. DC seems to be constantly expanding their ranks and adding strong female characters (of course, the also seem to be killing some off, but that's another story entirely). So yeah, I think the next Red Tornado will be a girl. I hope she's hot.

27. Booster Gold: The Big Time at Last: Booster Gold was considered a joke as a member of the Justice League International, but 52 sees him take a shot as an A-list hero.

Good luck with that, Booster. It seems that something is going to happen during Infinite Crisis that will really boost Booster's profile (I can't believe I just typed that).

But his chances as an "A-list hero" are doomed. If what we've seen is true, Booster hasn't learned anything. We see him shilling for corporations and playing up his status as a hero. That's not what heroes do. Until Booster Gold starts doing the right thing simply because it's the right thing, he'll never be a real hero.

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said...

I think Red Tornado's next logical form will be that of a monkey

That would be cool since we were cheated out of a chimpanzee Dr. Fate in the Day of Vengeance Special.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

I'm thinking personally, Booster's apparently selling out might be part of something else. Like he's playing along for some other purpose, using his old reputation to be underestimated maybe. It's really the only thing that makes since to me, given the way the character's evolved through Countdown and his appearances in Infinite Crisis.

 
At 9:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please be Donna Troy, please be Donna Troy. I just want that bitch to die.

Let me join you in this. Much like Orlando Bloom in Kingdom of Heaven, if Donna Troy stood up and said 'Follow Me!', I'd wait for the next bus.

Such a shame.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home