Thursday, July 27, 2006

Creators Should Lie

Yes, they should. But for some reason some people think that it's "offensive" or "wrong" when creators lie to fans. I say it's a good idea. It keeps things edgy and surprising. I mean, if we believed everything Dan DiDio says our heads would have all exploded by now.

I know that creators lying have been useful to me in the past. Or maybe it's just that I'm foolish and naive. But when Geoff Johns said that Sinestro wouldn't be in Green Lantern: Rebirth, I believed him. And I was then surprised when he did show.

The same thing happened with Ion. Ron Marz said he wasn't going to use Alex Nero. Yet there he was in issue four. And I loved it.

Creators should lie their asses off. We should never know when they're telling the truth, joking, or just plain being deceitful. Because in the modern world of the Interwebnet things leak out all too easily. And comics are just way more fun with surprises.

4 Comments:

At 9:33 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

See I'm the opposite. I don't mind if an editor, writer, whatever, evades the question with a joke, or a non-answer, but I don't like being outright lied to.

Not telling me, or making a joke about it can intrigue me to want to pick it up an find out. Telling me one thing, then doing the opposite just aggravates me.

Which is why I tend to avoid Newsaram and places like that. The less I know in advance, the less chance I get ticked off about being lied to.

 
At 9:16 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

They write fiction.

We pay them to lie to us.

 
At 3:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind if the lies were a little more blase ( can't find accent key, sorry) and outrageous.
Lying about Sinestro or Alex Nero is small potatoes. Just tell a whopper. "Mr. Dini, what can we expect from your arc on Detective?"
"Well, it's going to suck. We're going to kill Batman off; I'm so tired of writing the guy, we're moving the whole cast out to a small town near the Crimea, we'll concentrate mostly on the Terrible Trio and in my third issue I'll start tackling a critical breakdown of Flaubert using Killer Moth as a mouthpiece. Yeah. Next question?"

 
At 10:47 PM, Blogger James Meeley said...

Well, you got me inspired to blog about this. So, I guess it can't be a totally bad thing. ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home