Thursday, July 20, 2006

State of the Union

I read an interesting post on the Newsarama Blog wherein Mark Millar talks about his plans for the DCU. Of course, Mark Millar doesn't work for DC. He's exclusive to Marvel. This leads into something I've been thinking about for quite awhile: Are exclusive contracts good or bad for the comics industry?

I'll admit that I don't know anything much about Mark Millar. The only thing of his I've read is Red Son, which I pretty much enjoyed. But the point here isn't whether or not I'd enjoy seventy issues of Mark Millar on Superman. The point is that in the current climate that won't happen. All the "big name" creators are locked up on exclusive contracts.

In one way, I guess you could see it as a good thing for the industry. You've got these groups of talented men and women who are wholly focused on one universe. And in doing so, they can tighten up their game and play their best.

On the other hand, it seems to close a lot of doors. And not just for the "big name" creators. It seems to me that the heavy focus on the exclusive "A-list" writers and artists leaves little room for new talent to enter in. Hell, half of the last three years of the DCU were written almost entirely by the same three guys!

Anyway, I'll admit that I'm not much of a "big thinker" when it comes to issues within the comic industry. I just read what I like and smile like an idiot while I do it. But sometimes I do think about stuff, and this is one of those times.

I don't know what that means.

1 Comments:

At 10:02 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Well, I'm generally not in favor of exclusive contracts, but that might be because it seems like DC is bogarting a lot of writers I'd like to see at Marvel.

Personally, it feels like it draws battle lines. You're either a DC Person or a Marvel Person, and it reduces any chance of cooperation between the two.

Not as much as Joe Quesada does, but still.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home