Tuesday, September 12, 2006

A Day Late, A Dollar Short

I'll go ahead and say it: Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters is one of the most relevant books currently on the stands.

Now, seeing as I don't know the political tenor of the comic blogosphere, I may get myself it trouble for some of the things I'm about to say. But I don't really care.

The American political landscape is filthy. It's astonishing how clear the view gets when you're looking from afar (though some who are a lot closer -- you know who you are -- may disagree). The Democrats are spineless and the Republicans are so damn corrupt.

And that's the world we see in Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. The nation's foundations are crumbling. The corrupt and the cruel are seizing control -- and no one is willing to stop them. Until...

Uncle Sam.

Uncle Sam is not America. Rather, he is the spirit of what America could be. What it should be. He is the freedom that tyrants fear. The tolerance that bigots despise. He is the dream that anything can be.

And that is so incredibly powerful. Because dreams are what drive us. A few words from the personification of that idea is all the Freedom Fighters need to turn against their cruel masters.

And even as that map of the United States of America turns red with the blood of those who will suffer under the hand of a wicked mechanical automaton...

There is hope.

1 Comments:

At 2:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read the preview in Brave New World (so far out of the six comics previewed I'm only getting Trials of Shazam!), but it kind of put me off.

On the one hand, I'm happy that Mississippi, actually the Southeast in general, gets ANY mention in a DC comic (clearly I live there). Yet on the other hand their depection of the guy who gives Firebrand a lift pissed me off because believe it or not, we're NOT all that eager to rant about our political opinions to anybody we meet (and I have literally met NO ONE in the state who wants a draft). It may be different wherever the writer is from, but it's not that way down here unless you live in a larger city like Jackson.

The one thing that made me interested is the fact that Uncle Sam said that the guy was entitled to his opinion instead of agreeing and saying "don't mind that dumb inbred hick", which I almost expected given the tone of the preview until then.

That bit toward the end gave me the idea that it may be more evenhanded as opposed to a blatantly leftist polemic, and from what little I've seen (meaning your posts) that seems to be the case. I may give it a chance when I go to the shop next week.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home