Tuesday, January 23, 2007

An Epic Struggle

I played my first ever game of Heroclix this past Saturday. It didn't exactly go well. You see, we only had the pre-made teams that my friend put together (they all belonged to him as I don't have any of my own in Japan). Luckily he had a few DC teams, so I chose a team consisting of Wonder Woman, the Flash, and Batman & Robin. The other two -- original thinkers both -- took teams of X-Men.

My third friend chose to play referee for us newbies which left me and my team of DC super-heroes sandwiched in between two teams of angsty mutants. I'm sure you can guess how it all turned out. Some highlights:
  • Four X-Men piling onto Wonder Woman, unable to bring her down for many turns as she tears chunks out of Wolverine.
  • A good laugh from everyone when one friend asked whether or not his Professor X could climb the stairs on the game mat.
  • A good laugh from me when the Flash outwitted Professor X every turn and punched him in the head repeatedly.
  • Robin hitting Colossus with batarangs.
  • An entire team of X-Men chasing Robin around the board as he nimbly leapt from rooftop to rooftop.
In the end I lost. But that was in the cards from the beginning, considering my poor placement and my rookie mistake of splitting my heroes. Next time I'll make my own team. Then they'll learn.

5 Comments:

At 3:07 PM, Blogger Derek said...

"It didn't exactly go well"

Really? It sounds like you had a good time.

I need to try and get my friends to play. Wonder Woman vs. the Entire X-Men sounds like a fun match-up.

 
At 5:02 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Welcome to the world of Heroclix! I feel a lot of the fun comes from building your own custom teams, even if they have less than stellar results.

For example, Saturday my New Warriors squad got pummeled by Len's JSA team. Still had a lot of fun, and got some advice on how to improve them.

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Oh, I had a fantastic time. But Batman died. And that has to equal "didn't go well" in my book...

 
At 12:11 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Indeed; welcome.

It's fun even when you lose, and what more can you want from a game than that?

Throw the JSA against the X-Men, and you, like Damage, will be able to ask, "Who's the bitch now?"

 
At 11:55 PM, Blogger Chris Sims said...

I swore off HeroClix when I made a team consisting of Darkseid, Orion, and the Manhattan Guardian and somebody beat them. I mean really, that's just craz-o.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home