Saturday, March 17, 2007

I Do Not Care For You, Great Ten

Am I the only one out there who doesn't particularly care for the Great Ten? I mean, they're interesting enough I suppose, but the news that they're getting a series (a mini, I assume) leaves me cold. Very cold.

The idea, I think, is superb. There need to be more than simply American super-heroes. And when there are international super-heroes they need to be better than token characters based on American stereotypes about that country. So I'm all for the idea of the Great Ten.

But there's something about them that makes me leery. It's as if they tried too hard to make them "cool." And it seems to me that they worked really hard to make them "Chinese." And for some reason it seems vaguely offensive to me. I mean, I'm not Chinese, so I've got no leg to stand on here. But they just seem a little over the top.

And of course, there's the fact that the Great Ten are a government sponsored super-team. Which is all well and good. Many countries have them, after all. But these characters are still lapdogs for a brutal authoritarian regime. And the fact that they're getting their own series makes me a little unsettles me (I don't recall any Soviet super-team ever getting themselves a mini-series).

Of course, in the end, this is just me being stupid. I'm sure all you readers out there can poke holes in what I'm saying. But like others, I sometimes hold on tightly to ideas and opinions even though I know they're insane.

And I do not like the Great Ten.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

At 9:55 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I'm not sure about DC, but Marvel did have Fabian Nieceza do a mini-series on the various Russian supers...

 
At 9:58 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I've got to say that the Great Ten don't do much for me either...but on the plus side, Geoff Johns is going to write a series with Booster Gold! Woohooooooooooooo!

 
At 12:24 PM, Blogger Captain Infinity said...

There need to be more than simply American super-heroes.

I'm of the opinion that there actually are quite a lot of foreign heroes (and villains), we just don't see them. I look at it in the same way as actors or musicians. There are plenty of actors in Japan, but how many can you name?

And when there are international super-heroes they need to be better than token characters based on American stereotypes about that country.

Imagine if this held true for the U.S. Our heroes would consist only of people like Uncle Sam, Mr. America, Miss America, Liberty Belle, General Glory, and the Star Spangled Kid.

 
At 7:27 PM, Blogger Michael said...

I don't recall any Soviet super-team ever getting themselves a mini-series

Marvel's Soviet Super-Soldiers had a one-shot in 1992, but that's all I can think of.

Capt. Infinity: don't forget about Stripesy and the Force of July. Plus, other American sterotypes like cowboys or Hollywood.

 
At 4:46 PM, Blogger Matthew E said...

I'm okay with the Great Ten, but:

we haven't seen much of them. Hardly anything. How can I know if I'm interested if I don't know a thing about them? Cripes, I had a better idea who Jamie Reyes was than I do about these guys.

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"But these characters are still lapdogs for a brutal authoritarian regime. And the fact that they're getting their own series makes me a little unsettles me (I don't recall any Soviet super-team ever getting themselves a mini-series)."

China may well be "a brutal authoritarian regime", as was the Soviet Union. There are plenty of people around the world who consider the U.S.A. equally brutal, in the way it decimates the Middle East for Oil Revenue and lets the population of New Orleans drown for commiting the crime of being black and poor.

Your opinions betray a blinkered and insulated world view which only reinforces the need for greater national diversity in comics.

And the number of pages featuring the Great Ten combined barely add up to a single comic. Your criticisms are as hasty as they are misguided, and I strongly recommend you read the Great Ten for your own good.

Unless it sucks.

 
At 10:10 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

More over the top than the Freedom Fighters, which includes Miss America and Uncle Sam?

 
At 4:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm still holding out for DC's Mid-West super team with Mad Dog heading it up. Have Grant Morrison write it with recurring Animal Man guests and you've got a winner. (Where does Animal Man live anyway?)

 
At 6:57 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Andy: I resent the idea that I have a "blinkered and insulated" worldview. I'll admit that the U. S. is not even close to being a perfect country. But when I lived there (my insulated worldview currently has me living abroad in East Asia) I voted for the other guy *twice.* That option isn't really available in China.

And as far as "brutal authoritarian regime"... I stand by that. Forced abortions, religious persecution, jailed dissedents, students run down with tanks... That's the very *definition* of a brutal authoritarian regime.

Scipio: If the Freedom Fighters were the *only* American superheroes, I'd say you have a point...

Anonymous: Animal Man lives in San Diego... And it's *Wild* Dog. But I think I want that too. As a Midwesterner I want it *desperately.*

 

Post a Comment

<< Home