Monday, July 23, 2007

Multversal

It's not secret that I like to write. At the moment I've got half a dozen comic scripts and a like number of novels in the works. I've got so many ideas (though they may not be good ideas) flowing through my head that I don't know what to do with them all.

But interestingly enough, I find that there aren't many characters at DC that I'd really like a chance to write (needless to say, I have no interest in any Marvel characters). I love characters like Batman, Superman, and Aquaman, but I don't really want to write about them. I want to read about them.

Most of the characters DC has that I'd like to write are forgotten characters. Characters that have been sitting around in limbo for years and years. Even characters that have been forgotten by continuity. I once thought up a way of bringing them all back into a series for amazing adventures through the Multiverse.

Yeah, I said Multiverse. I know I've made it very clear that I'm not a fan of the Multiverse as it existed in the pre-Crisis days. But I always felt that it never really went away. There were still alternate worlds and things, they were just really hard to get to and rarely bore much resemblance to the main DCU. And that's the way I liked it.

So I've always wanted to write a story about a team of Elseworlds and retconned out misfits that travel the Multiverse righting wrongs and in some cases, trying to find a place to belong. These travelers are led by a powerful character searching for a lost loved one. Said powerful character is later revealed to be a major DCU character who once headlined his/her own series. What can I say? I love to play with continuity.

So that's my dream project at DC. Unfortunately, the return of the Multiverse as it is in some ways wipes it out. Though I still think I could pull it off. Maybe some day I'll get a shot...

(And before you say anything, yes, I have been told that this may in some way resemble Marvel's Exiles series. But when I conceived my idea I'd never heard of Exiles. And obviously I've never read it. So there.)

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 5:26 PM, Blogger Tom Mulherin said...

Isn't this what the new Booster Gold series will be doing?

 
At 5:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So, who'd ya have for the team anyway?

 
At 2:32 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

My initial reaction was indeed "So like Exiles for DC?" but that actually sounds pretty cool.

That is, as long as I understand it correctly. What you mean to say is a group of characters from various alternate universe tales - say, Commie Batman from Red Son, the original Earth-2 Robin, and Clark Kent from Secret Identity - planet hopping and having wacky adventures throughout the Multiverse, right?

That I can get behind. Seems to fit better with the way DC's always been structured than with Marvel, anyhow.

-M

 
At 8:08 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Matt-

Yeah, that's *exactly* the sort of thing I had in mind. I wasn't planning on using those characters (sorry anonymous, I'm not going to say *who* I was going to use), but I was planning on changing the characters as I went along... Like any good team book.

They would have to deal with secret threats and stuff (yes, just like the Booster Gold series). It would've been a lot of fun. Still could be...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home