Sunday, December 30, 2007

The Game is Afoot

Am I the only one who's really enjoying Death of the New Gods? I'm finding it to be an incredibly fun mystery/superhero tale. There's all sorts to like about. Foremost among them the fact that the New Gods are dying.

Now, I've said before that I like the fact that the New Gods are getting axed. That remains as true today as it did in days of yore. But Death of the New Gods is so much more than just gods being killed left and right. As I said, it's a grand mystery.

The mystery isn't just who's killing the New Gods (though Superman seems to believe he knows). It's also about the why and the how. Why has this killer been gifted with powers beyond what he normally possesses? And why is he using them the way he is? Those are the big mysteries.

And there's not just mystery... There's also suspense. When I was reading issue #4 I kept holding my breath, waiting to see who was going to be offed on the next page. Usually I don't feel that way reading comics. Either because the deaths seem so shallow -- or because nobody dies at all.

But for some reason Starlin has created a story where each death -- even if it's of an insignificant character that nobody knows -- feels important. And that's quite an accomplishment.

So I look forward to seeing this series continue. Seeing the Gods drop left and right as Superman -- the story's resident Sherlock Holmes (with x-ray vision!) tries to ferret out the answers.

The game is afoot.

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nope--I'm loving it too. It's one of a small handful of titles that I look forward to from month to month. Considering that under any number of currently "hot" writers, this could have turned into little more than a sequence of grotesque action scenes, it's sort of nice to get something a little more evenly-paced and thoughtfully structured. It's Starlin in top form.

 
At 7:36 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well...I'm still reading it, because by now I'm pissed. Not content with whacking Ralph and Sue, they had to go after Scott and Barda! I LIKE Barda! And now poor Scott is all depressed and angsty.

*sigh*

Metron is cool though.

 
At 7:16 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

"There's all sorts to like about. Foremost among them the fact that the New Gods are dying."

AMEN!

 
At 3:56 PM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I don't have any love for the New Gods, but this, right now, seems like a case of them not knowing what to do with characters, so they try and sell some books by just killing lots of characters.

It may wind up being a really well-thought out plan to rejuvenate the New Gods, in which case, my bad for doubting DC, but right now it just seems kind of pointless.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home