Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Off With Their Heads

Well, I've been suffering from quite a cold these past few days. Of course, it's nothing that a weekend locked in a subterranean chamber bombarded by magnetic rays can't cure. Or so my doctor tells me.

Anyway, I'd like to talk about Death of the New Gods. I know that some people are touchy about the subject of a certain character's death. Without naming names, let me just say this: I'm glad he/she is dead. This may shock you. Yes, I liked the character. Heck, I liked the character a lot. But what I do not like are the New Gods.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: they don't fit in the greater DC Universe. They're too weird and wacky and I really, really want to see them all die. Call me bloodthirsty, but I wasn't pleased with the afore mentioned character's death because of the death. I was pleased because it is merely a prelude to the greater slaughter to come.

But I guess that means I am a little bloodthirsty after all. But the New Gods do something the the DC Universe. It's hard for me to articulate it, but I'll give it a try. To me, the New Gods seem to cheapen the DC Universe just a little bit. I know that doesn't make sense -- many people think the Fourth World enriches the DCU. I just don't happen to be one of them.

The New Gods are over the top and overpowered. They are supposed to be gods. And honestly, I'm not sure how keen I am about gods walking around the DCU. If gods really do walk around the DCU, then the things they do and say are automatically more important than the things that any other characters do and say. They're frickin' gods.

And I don't want that. I want Wonder Woman and Superman and Batman to be the most important characters in the DCU. I want it to be clear to everyone that the greatest evil doesn't have to be a distant, rocky-faced deity. It can be as simple as a bald man in a suit. Or a clown with a rictus grin.

But as long as the New Gods still run around in their garish costumes these things cannot come to pass. As long as these so-called deities hold court the real players of the DC Universe will be pushed the sidelines whenever the "gods" appear.

So kill 'em all, I say. Off with their heads.

Labels:

6 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Waaaaaahhhh! But dammit, I LIKE Barda! Well, I especially like her in Birds of Prey and hanging out with Scott.


Oh, and Metron is rather cool. Orion is obnoxious though. And although it is probably terrible of me, I don't really care about the Black Racer or whatever he was called, because a death deity on SKIES, just makes me laugh.

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Marc Burkhardt said...

Mmmmm ... can't say I agree with you here.

Back in the early 70s when the New Gods debut, Kirby's creation brought a sense of excitement and cosmic menace that the DC universe previously lacked.

And as far as wacky and over-the-top goes, you're talking about the comic book company that created winged gorillas and Prez!

How can anything be too wacky and over the top for that????

 
At 5:14 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Sally: Yeah, Barda's okay. But we can't keep some of the New Gods and ditch the others, can we? If it's a choice between all or none, I'll take NONE.

Keeper: It's not that they're too wacky and over the top (or that I don't like wacky and over the top). It's that they're just too... Well, too Kirby. It's a certain brand of wackiness that doesn't really fit in the DCU.

And if I want cosmic menace I've got Starro. I don't really need anything else...

 
At 9:08 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

BRAVO!

I couldn't agree with you more!

 
At 10:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, maybe with their deaths DC writers will quit being lazy and using the New Gods so gosh-darned much.

 
At 7:48 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Scipio: Thanks

Anon: I agree. That's another one of the problems with the New Gods. They're overused. They've become a crutch. And the best way to keep from overusing something is to NOT USE IT AT ALL.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home