Wednesday, August 20, 2008

The Revenge of Superboy-Prime

Legion of 3 Worlds #1. This could be the beginning of the greatest comic story I have ever read. I say that with absolutely no irony.

What we have here is both Geoff Johns and George Perez at their very best. At the top of their games. That's what Legion of 3 Worlds looks like to me. From the very first page I found myself completely enthralled. The art, of course, is beautiful. And the story is everything I could possibly hope it would be.

True, this is only the first issue. But from the moment Superboy-Prime arrives in the 31st century to the moment Superman does the same, all the pieces fall into place. It's clear that each and every panel is of the utmost importance.

Legion of 3 Worlds isn't just going to be another Final Crisis tie in. It's clear that it's much bigger than that. It's going to have consequences across the Multiverse. And for each and every Legion of Super-Heroes.

This is the revenge of Superboy-Prime. But maybe -- just maybe -- it'll be his redemption too.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

At 11:14 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

Oh gods, Superboy Prime again? Seriously? I've gone from liking (COIE) to disliking (IC) to HATING (Sinestro Corps) to being utterly bored by him (Countdown)...

Glad I'm only a casual LoSH fan so I can just ignore this stupid one-dimensional joke of a character...

 
At 11:17 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Lurker, you really can't ignore him this time. I don't care if you're only a casual fan. I'm serious when I say that Legion of 3 Worlds might be the best comic story I've ever read.

You really should pick up the first issue and give it a try. At least thumb through it in the comic shop. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

 
At 11:23 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

See the problem there is I don't think I've enjoyed anything written by Johns since he was doing Flash. Maybe some of the early JSA stuff. I tried Booster Gold and thought it had some nice moments (especially the finale) but was otherwise fairly dull to me. Something about his writing just completely fails to connect with me...

Plus I don't really want to see more dismembered super-teens...

 
At 11:25 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Well, I guess I can respect that. But I still think you're missing out. Even if you don't like Johns, George Perez is doing some of his best work ever.

I don't think anybody doesn't like George Perez...

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Superboy-Prime killed Superboy. Fuck redemption, that bastard needs to die!

Of course, I may be biased. But I really don't want Superboy-Prime dying a noble death, I want him to be broken and die a miserable pointless death. That's all he deserves.

(I haven't read L3W yet, my comic shop isn't getting the new books until tomorrow... err, later today).

 
At 10:00 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I have to admit that I have always considered the Legion to basically be a bunch of self-absorbed brats, which means I suppose, that they will have a great deal in common with Superbrat Prime. Nevertheless I am picking this up, because it looks to be fantastic.

 
At 10:02 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I don't think you'll be disappointed, Sally. It really *is* fantastic.

And Patrick... I really do doubt he'll be redeemed. But Superman will *try* to redeem him. Which is why the real deal is still the greatest hero of all time...

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Just read the issue now. And yeah, you can't blame Superman for trying. And I like that the real Superboy got his due in the museum. And there was nothing to say his death at the hands of Prime was permanent, so there's still the opportunity of him coming back.

And yeah, the book was awesome. With issue 1 it's already on the bottom of my read pile (I read the best book last).

 
At 3:03 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I try to do the same thing with my comics. I read the best one last... With the exception of weeklies, which get read first no matter what. Don't ask me why I do that...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home