Monday, November 17, 2008

One of My Weirdest Posts

Okay, I'm going to express an opinion here that could very easily be misconstrued. I really hope nobody does. Listen to everything I say before you start lighting torches. All right, here goes:

I liked naked Cheetah better.

Okay, bear with me. This isn't because I like to look at pictures of naked cat-ladies (though that may be true). No, it's because Cheetah's current outfit has really brought down her "menace level."

Allow me to explain my reasoning. Cheetah is one of Wonder Woman's better villains. But that's not just because of how powerful she is. A lot of it has to do with what she represents. Cheetah is a character who has sacrificed her humanity for power. She has become animalistic. Bestial. She is less a person and more a blood-thirsty predator.

I don't have to tell you that blood-thirsty predators don't wear belly shirts. In my eyes the costume just makes her look silly. Cheetah is supposed to be a villain driven by instinct and blood lust. But when she's wearing that outfit she looks like someone in a Halloween costume.

Cheetah needs to seem like a dangerous, uncontrollable animal. That's what makes her a menacing villain. Animals, of course, don't wear clothes. So Cheetah should be naked.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 5:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Agreed. I'll go you one better -- I preferred the bestial, classic Perez Cheetah overall. She was a raw force of nature, with a writer who had a decent grasp of her as a character, and not another "Bad Girl" type.

The seemingly-crotchless pants she has makes the costume all the worse :) I know they aren't really that way (since we've seen her in the costume as Barbara Minerva), but that's how it looks -- kitty chaps :)

Take it and run,

 
At 6:51 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I don't have much experience with the "classic" Cheetah (largely before my time in comics) but it sounds like I'd prefer that characterization as well.

I think one of my favorite characterizations in recent years was the Wonder Woman/Flash crossover with Zoom. She was just brutal there. Good stuff.

And yeah, I forgot to mention the weird crotchless pants. What's going on there?

 
At 7:30 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm not really sure that they ARE crotchless pants, but by God, they certainly LOOK that way.

By the way, and apropos of nothing, I did finally finish the Doctor Mid-Nite book that you recommended a short time ago, and it was FABULOUS! There were some awfully nice supporting characters there that I've neve seen, and probably won't again, which is a darned shame. Very moody coloring and art, and a ripsnorting good story.

 
At 7:38 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I'm glad you enjoyed it! I think everyone should read it, as it's the only place to get the real Doctor Mid-Nite rather than the "Physician to the Stars" that we see in comics these days...

 
At 11:13 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

I agree as well. Cheetah is supposed to look like an animal, not a cosplay bondage cat-girl ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home