Saturday, February 28, 2009

The Future is the Past

Well well well... Look who's coming back to Batman. It's funny, because I was just rereading Winick's earlier run on Batman (as a means of refreshing myself on the most recent Black Mask appearances). While I was reading them I was thinking:

"Damn, Winick writes a good Batman story. I wish he'd come back and write some more."

And lo, it did occur. Really, with the exception of his pre-"War Games" arc Judd Winick's Batman fired on all cylinders from beginning to end. Snappy dialogue, brilliant fight scenes (though a lot of that was Doug Mahnke), and a fantastic take on Jason Todd. Really, Winick is the only one who's been able to write a decent Jason since he came back from the dead.

Might that be telling us something? Judd Winick's the go-to guy for Jason Todd, after all. Maybe we'll be seeing him under the cowl. I figured Jason was a big long shot, but now... Who knows?

Oh, and for the record: I've never been one of those people who hates Judd Winick's work. In fact, you could probably put me in the "Judd Winick Fan" category (if there is such a category). Despite the wailing I always hear on the Internet, the man must be doing something right. Otherwise he wouldn't still be writing comics.

And one more thing... I really hope Black Mask is coming back. Because Winick's Black Mask was the best. Period.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

At 6:35 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Interesting. I didn't realise Winick wrote Batman. Like you, I am a Winick fan.

 
At 8:32 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I would very much recommend his "Under the Hood" storyline that chronicles Jason Todd's return from the dead. I'm pretty sure it's available in trade paperback. I really think it's one of the best Batman stories of the last decade.

 
At 2:48 PM, Blogger Heartiac. said...

I haven't enjoyed Winnick's stuff since he was bumped from Infinite Crisis, but I did like his Batman better than Morrison's Batman. At least he believes in 'connective tissue...'

Hopefully Winnick won't resort to having Green Arrow guest right away...

 
At 2:50 PM, Blogger Heartiac. said...

Oops,

I meant that I haven't enjoyed Winnick's writing since he was bumped from Batman right after Infinite Crisis.

 
At 3:26 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Fair enough. But I have to call you out on something, friend... It's "Winick" not "Winnick." The constant misspelling of the man's name is a personal pet peeve of mine. Drives me crazy for no discernable reason.

I am easily driven to the brink, it seems...

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Now if they'd only bring back Norm Breyfogle ...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home