Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Red Robin

Red Robin turned out to be an interesting read this week. I wasn't sure what it was going to be. I certainly didn't expect "the globe-trotting adventures of Tim Drake."

And yeah, I'm not going to start calling him "Tim Wayne." It just sounds weird.

Anyway, I think the concept of the book has real potential -- at least for a while. The central premise seems to be that Tim believes (for some reason) that Batman is alive. So he's going out to find him or find proof that he's alive. It's a clever setup, and I like seeing Tim stop to help people along the way. Even if he's mostly doing it to work out his anger issues.

Still, there's not really any reason why he believes Bruce Wayne to be alive. We the reader knows he'll be back, but there's no logical, rational reason why Tim would believe that. And Tim's always been the most rational, reasonal member of the Bat-family.

I also like Tim's reasoning for wearing the Red Robin costume. It is a cool costume and I'm glad that somebody is getting use out of it. But I don't really know what they're going to do with this book when the real Batman inevitably returns. I guess it'll suffer a "bold new direction" or inglorious cancellation...

Labels:

4 Comments:

At 11:09 PM, Anonymous Spectrum Bear said...

I think that if Tim wanted to take on a new identity so that his "over the line" actions can't be tracked back to, or taint the name of, Batman and Robin, he could have done better than come up with a caped-and-cowled heroic identity named... Red Robin.

I would have preferred him to pick something that appeared truly unrelated to the Bat-family, as he did once in Young Justice (or was it Teen Titans?), although I realize that doesn't fit in with DC's branding plans.

I was also not thrilled to watch Tim Drake Wayne go "over the line," breaking bones right and left. As you said, he's always been the most rational and reasonable member of the family. This behavior does his mentor/adoptive father no honor at all. And, if he thinks Bruce is alive, what does he think Bruce is going to say when he comes back...?

 
At 3:48 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Yay it's Tim! I'll be buying this tomorrow then :D

Thanks for the not too spoilery review!

 
At 8:27 AM, Blogger kalinara said...

I was also not thrilled to watch Tim Drake Wayne go "over the line," breaking bones right and left.

To be fair, this IS the guy who, in his official taking-the-mantle storyline after A Lonely Place of Dying, left a villain with Shiva with pretty clear knowledge she was going to let him plummet from the building. Tim might be the most rational member, but he's always had kind of grey ethics.

I can also buy his fanatic belief that Bruce is still alive, just because, well, it tends to happen that way anyway. :-) And this is the guy who tried to clone his best friend. So maybe "rational" is the wrong word.

Or it's kind of like being "the smartest Green Lantern." Which might be true, but what does that REALLY say? :-)

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I have to say, I was hoping that Robin's intense second/third-degree burns on his head from the end of his series were why he became Red Robin. It would make a lot more sense story-wise, and be a nice acknowledgment that the Bat-family don't have super-healing (merely essential-plot-related healing).

Plus they could make Knightfall comparisons, and we could start calling Damian the Robin-Azrael

 

Post a Comment

<< Home