Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Incredibly Off-Topic

Originally I had hoped to talk about the final issue of Trinity today and my thoughts on the series as a whole. But I forgot that new comics don't come until Thursday this week. Oops.

Instead, I will tell you the story of who I am and how I came to be. Or rather where I am going. Be forewarned: this is not about comics in any way.

Many of you know that when I started this blog I was living in Japan. I lived there for a good three years. I loved my time there but by the end of my last year I felt like I needed a change. I came back to the United States last summer. But I had no plans and no job lined up. I didn't know where I was going to go or what I was going to do.

In the end, a series of occurences led me to apply to various institutions of higher learning. I wasn't sure if that was what I wanted at first, but as time went on it started to seem more and more like the path for me. It wasn't long before I found myself in a place I hadn't expected: going back to school.

That's right, friends: come August I'll be a graduate student. I'll be able to change that little "currently unemployed" tag. I will be attending the University of Illinois in Urbana-Champaign and the Department of East Asian Languages and Cultures. I'll be there for at least the next two years, and possibly as many as seven (if I decide to work towards a PhD).

What does all this mean for the blog? I have no idea. Initially I had thought I might have to cut down on my comics. But financial aid has been surprisingly generous, so that doesn't seem to be in the cards.

I intend to make every effort to continue here. I can't imagine that graduate school will take up so much of my time that I can't dash off a few poorly considered thoughts about the latest comic event.

Anyway, that's where things stand with me. I'm pretty happy about where I'm going, even if I don't know exactly where it will lead. Back to Japan? Almost certainly at some point. To Korea, Taiwan, or China? I wouldn't rule it out.

Regardless of where I'm going I just wanted to let all my friends out there (and you are all my friends) know how things are going. I don't usually talk about myself, but some things... Well, some things you need to share.

Tomorrow: Thursday Night Thinking One Hundred!

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 6:30 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

Congratulations!
May i ask what the name of your course is?

 
At 8:59 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Thanks. We don't really do it that way over here... Like I said, I'm in the EALC department and I've got a lot of freedom in what exactly I want to study.

I'm hoping to look at popular culture in the Edo Period (visual arts, theatre, etc.) and the ways it has served to influence the works of the modern era.

It sounds boring, but it's not! At least not to me. :-P

 
At 3:28 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

This sounds quite exciting. We'll be able to call you DOCTOR Diamondrock!

Doctor Polaris will be jealous.

 
At 3:46 PM, Blogger Doctor Polaris said...

"Doctor Polaris will be jealous."I will not! Even if he gets a PhD he will still lack the MD that would make him my equal.

I stand above all other bloggers!

 
At 4:25 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

I don't think it sounds boring! Ok I don't really know what the Edo period is, but it still sounds interesting. :)

 
At 11:35 AM, Blogger Will said...

Congrats dude. School rules. I always love your off topic posts. They're fun.

P.S. -- I'm working a desk job most days, so in my off moments I'm reinvigorating my blog. I know you hate Spider-Man, but you should come read it anyway.

 
At 4:28 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Thanks for the kind words. And one must know their enemy, Will. I'll be sure to check out your blog.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home