Monday, September 14, 2009

Endings

After last night's post I've been thinking about the whole "New Krypton" thing. I'm believe that loyal commenter Jake is right -- it's not going to tie into anything else and it will wrap up around the time that World of New Krypton comes to a close.

The big question is this: how is this all going to be resolved? We know a few things. For instance, we know that Mon-El will end up back in the Phantom Zone eventually. He needs to be there so that the Legion can pull him out in a thousand years. And I think it's safe to say that eventually New Krypton is going to go away. That situatio is not sustainable. We can't have a planet full of Kryptonians in the Sol system indefinitely. It just won't work.

So what's going to happen? I honestly don't know. There's been so much new ground broken with this storyline that I don't know what to expect. There's nothing to say that Zod has to go back in the Phantom Zone or Kandor has to go back in the bottle. Heck, maybe I'm wrong and New Krypton doesn't even have to go away!

But in one sense it does. The tension between Earth and New Krypton can't last forever. Something is going to break. Somebody will cause that spark. And something will happen.

How do you think the New Krypton story will end?

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Jake said...

I've been thinking a little more about this, and we know from teasers that eventually Mon-El is going to join the Justice League (for however briefly), so I'm not convinced he is going to just vanish at the conclusion of World of New Krypton. He showed up in Titans a few issues ago, and it seems like there's an effort to make his presence felt in the DCU, so it's weird they would just throw that away.

I think World of New Krypton might end on schedule, but I'm not sold on the idea of it just vanishing or going back into the bottle or whatever. I think the storytelling has been so good on this that it might just continue into a new Superman series entitled something else?

So yes, I'm actually hoping it isn't going to end any time soon. I've liked the direction it's been going in thus far.

 
At 3:20 AM, Anonymous Terry Lenox said...

General Lane gets tricked by Luthor using help from Brainiac.

Brainiac tricks Luthor then attacks Superman on New Krypton for revenge of his original capture.

New Krypton gets fractured in the attack creating a new and miniaturized New Kandor before Superman can recapture/destroy/exile Brainiac.

Superman saves New Kandor in a new bottle that gets put in the Fortress for storage/fixing.

General Zod may even die a hero to save New Krypton's people.

Chris Kent is a loose end. He may have to die fighting Brainiac too.

Eventually, we get back to Kal El and Supergirl as the only "local" Kryptonians living on earth (outside of a bottle).

 
At 12:02 PM, Blogger Will said...

Sorry about how long this is:

I think one of the fundamental dramas underlying Superman (or at least the Superman that came out of the Silver Age that we all know and love) is that he's powerful enough to save the Earth a million times over, but Krypton is forever lost to him.

I think some fashion of tragedy is waiting on the door step. In the last issue of WoNK on page four in the fifth panel Superman points out that Krypton is "dead race that's been given a reprieve."

They'll end up killed or more likely back in the bottle in some irreversible way. I think that's what makes this story so special--that we've gotten to take Kandor out of the bottle (and Mon-El out of the Phantom Zone) and play with them for a while.

All of the Superbooks are undeniably pure fun right now, but I'm afraid all of this can only end in heart break for Supes and Kara. I could even see Alura dying.

But hey, we're only just now into the second half of WoNK.

Let's enjoy it for the rest of the run.

As for it spinning out into DC's next company-wide event, I really hope not. I like how it's contained in the Superbooks. I'm not really upset about how much money I'm spending on it and as long as the quality is kept up, I wouldn't mind purchasing more New Krypton material, but, I think Kryptonians running wild in Gotham, etc. would take away from the aesthetic and just not work.

Right now at Marvel everything is Dark Reign this Dark Reign that. Cyclops fighting Norman Osborn is kind of dumb as much I loved X-Men Utopia. Similarly, the events of Blackest Night Superman seem, I don't know, almost sacreligious. Zor-El's death is too fresh for it to not seem super-inappropriate to have him zombieing about.

 
At 4:41 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well heck, isn't New Krypton really supposed to be Tomar Tu's problem? Krypton was originally in Tomar Re's sector before it got blowed up, so I think that they should just put it back. Why should 2814 get all the cool planets anyway?

 
At 12:57 AM, Blogger Jake said...

I thought I remembered it being in Sector 2 for some reason. It is an interesting question if the Lanterns track you on where you were born versus where you're living when they scan your sector.

...well I think it's interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home