Monday, November 30, 2009

JSA All-Stars

Y'know, I'm starting to dig where the whole JSA All-Stars. I don't know exactly why. I should be mortified by any team that includes Magog. But there really are things about the previews (and the concept) that I really like. Here they are:

Cadre of mystery villains: I like superhero comics. I like mysteries. Ergo, I like superhero comics with mysteries. So far the mystery of who is out the kill the JSA is intriguing me. It's made even more intriguing by the fact that for some reason they want Stargirl to stay alive. I must read to find out why.

Communists androids: "Fourth Reich" has been done (and is being done again over in the main Justice Society of America book). But when was the last time you saw Neo-Soviets? They've got crazy high technology but they still use AK-47s! That's so adorable!

King Chimera: I guess I'm supposed to hate King Chimera, right? He's got that whole "I'm a cocky bastard so go ahead and hate me" thing going on. But I don't hate him for some reason. In fact, I think there's more to him that we see...

Matthew Sturges and artist Freddie E. Williams II: I've loved pretty much everything Matt Sturges has written. So that's a selling point there. As for Freddie Williams, his stuff has been hit or miss. JSA All-Stars? Big hit. I don't know what it is, but he's either really improved or he's doing something else. That art is fantastic.

Here's a few of the things I'm not so keen on:

Characters I don't care for: There are a number of characters on this team that I don't really like. Such as Wildcat II and Cyclone's damn monkey. But mostly Magog.

General confusion: When is this set? If you've been reading Blackest Night you know that one of those characters should have a smoking hole in his/her chest.

Magog: Look, I don't care what you do. I'm not going to like the guy.

Let's see if the good outweighs the bad when the book comes out. Is anybody else planning on picking it up?

Labels:

3 Comments:

At 3:39 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm a bit confused as to why they thought that they had to split up the team, although I suppose that it has gotten just a tad...unwieldy lately.

But yeah, Magog is a creep.

I just want Sandy to actually have a speaking part for a change.

 
At 3:38 PM, Blogger kalinara said...

I kind of dig Magog, and I hate the art.


Aside from the art though, I'm sold. <3

(I like the split in general, it allows for a wider variety of storytelling, I think)

 
At 10:52 PM, Blogger Kello said...

The fact DC gave Magog his own book will forever be beyond me. I mean, isn't there one person in the creative process, from conceptualiztion, to editing, to the guy who runs the paper printer who steps back and says "Do people actually want to read about this character?"

 

Post a Comment

<< Home