Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The Future of the JSA

I'm going to come right out and say it: this preview for tomorrow's issue of Justice Society of America leaves a baaad feeling in the pit of my stomach.

Now I know that this "twenty years later" future will never come to pass. Stuff like that doesn't happen in comics and especially not in the DC Universe. But there mere hint of it. The mere possibility gets me shaking with fear. It's not the idea that Neo-Nazis have turned America into some sort of twisted "Fatherland." It's not even the idea that the Nazis won.

No, the thing that makes me really uneasy is that Michael Holt -- Mr. Terrific -- seems to have given up. Michael Holt gave up once. After the death of his wife he nearly committed suicide. But he found a greater purpose. And in doing so one of the smartest men in the world became one of the world's greatest super-heroes.

But would he give up again? Could something so terrible happen that it might make him lose all hope and beg for the end? Beg to forget? The very thought of it sends chills down my spine.

Perhaps that is the key. After all, if such a characterization of Mr. Terrific seems so off to me, maybe that's because it is off. Perhaps this little preview of a "future" is the surest sign yet that it will never come to pass.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 2:12 PM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Sorry, I haven't read enough Justice Society to know if this has ever been answered, but -- Has DC ever announced who are the 1st and 2nd smartest men in the world? And how do they know FOR CERTAIN that Michael is the 3rd?

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jake said...

ARGH please no. I hate the idea that people can be categorized into levels of intelligence that are absolute and applicable to everything and easily quantified. Talking about it gets my blood riled up.

 
At 5:44 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

He's really the smartest. They just tell he's only the third smartest, to keep him from getting cocky.

 
At 9:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This used to be my favorite book but once Magog came along and the team split, I've seriously considered dropping it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home