Tuesday, May 18, 2010

I Miss Batman

I miss Batman.

I know that there's a comic called Batman. Hell, there's a comic called Batman and Robin. But they aren't really Batman. Because I miss Bruce Wayne as Batman.

I've been rereading some old Legends of the Dark Knight comics. Denny O'Neil stuff. I miss that Batman. Bruce Wayne doing what he did best. Stopping criminals, solving cases, the works. I don't really get that vibe from Dick Grayson Batman.

I have been enjoying Dick's run as Batman. But I can't get behind the people who don't want him to give up the role. Because as Dick would readily admit, he's not Batman. He's playing the part of Batman. And all good roles eventually have to give way.

We need to have Bruce Wayne as Batman again. Until that happens there will be a hole in the DC Universe. Nothing can fill it. I hope that by the time we hit the fall we'll get there.

Still, I may be the only person who really wants him back (but I don't think so). What do the rest of you think? Do you want Bruce Wayne back... As Batman?

Labels:

7 Comments:

At 10:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Eventually back, yes. But I am enjoying the Dick/Damian dynamic for now. Sales don't seem to be suffering so keep it as it is for at least another 2 years. Make the readers really want Bruce back.

But DC will not allow that to happen. Unlike Marvel, DC is completely out-of-sync with what its fans/readers want. Case in point, Jaime Reyes is still around.

 
At 12:34 AM, Blogger Patrick C said...

Sure, Bruce Wayne is Batman and of course I want him back... eventually. I'm really enjoying the Dick/Damian dynamic (duo) and I think there are more stories to tell there. In the meantime, there are 60 years of Bruce Wayne as Batman stories to read if you want to see him in the role, not to mention Batman Confidential and Superman/Batman to read more Bruce stuff now.

So yes I want Bruce back as Batman but I'm in no rush!

 
At 7:39 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Well, I like Jaime so they're not out of sync with me. But I may be in the minority on that. I really couldn't say.

 
At 8:43 AM, Blogger snell said...

Well, even before Batman R.I.P., Bruce Wayne was largely absent from the Bat titles. When was the last time we saw him out of costume, doing anything meaningful? So, even if Bruce comes back as the Batman, that doesn't necessarily mean we're getting Bruce back...

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

That is an excellent point, snell. I would like to see Bruce Wayne as Bruce Wayne back as well. That's another thing these old Denny O'Neil stories are good for... They have Bruce Wayne doing Bruce Wayne stuff.

 
At 10:34 PM, Blogger Jon Gorga said...

(Hey, just discovered your blog. Dig it!)

I was enjoying some elements of Dick Grayson as Batman. Moments like 'Bruce, if only you could have relaxed and realized how much fun you could have had doing this.' Dick joining the Justice League in a semi-permanent way. I'm loving the first Robin as Batman even though he hasn't wanted it for a long time.

Mind you, Dick was written well at times and not so well at others. My girlfriend pointed out many a time that Grant Morrison was writing Dick as Bruce.

I would love to see Dick continue as Batman for a good two+ years. I think we could have had some great stories.

 
At 8:55 PM, Blogger Derek said...

Wait, do people not like Jaime Reyes? I've heard nothing but love from all the comics fans I know.

Can I ask what you don't like about him, Anonymous?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home