Sunday, April 24, 2011

He is Risen?

As most of you know, I'm Catholic. Mostly, anyway. Saint Dumas be praised!

Anyway, I'm Catholic, Doctor Polaris only believes in magnetism, and Diamondrock is real private about his beliefs. That leaves me as the only person willing or able to talk much about the fact that today is Easter.

You probably know that Easter is all about the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. That, of course, is a pretty big deal. Or at least it was. Sometimes I wonder if the wonder of Easter still matters in our world.

After all, Brightest Day began with a resurrection of the good and the evil. Green Lantern and the Flash returned from the dead. And of course there's Superman... I don't know of anyone else with as much Christian symbolism floating around him.

I guess I'm wondering if Easter is still important in our [DC] Universe. When Green Arrow can come back from the dead what does that mean for something that is hailed as a unique turning point in human history?

I guess in the end it comes down to faith. Even in a world where so many strange and terrible things happen I have to try and hold on to what I believe in. And I still believe in the Easter story, despite everything I've been through. I still believe that there is a seed of something special in the Death and Resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth.

I can't explain it and I certainly am not going to convince anyone else. But at the very least it gives me comfort. I've done some bad things in my life. And I'd like to think that even a sinner like me can get a second chance.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At 1:14 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

All I know is, thanks to Green Arrow, discovering that your ward is a junkie has lots all sense of tragedy, and because just another TMZ item.

 
At 1:23 PM, Anonymous farsider (r duncan) said...

Dear Az...

Trying to find spirital meaning in comics can be frustrating. After all, didn't Lobo or the Savage Dragon or somebody kick God's and the devil's butts. The supreme being of the DCU is hardly the God we Christians believe in.

Of course there were several folks in the Bible who were brought back from the dead, but they all died again, except for One.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home