Wednesday, June 01, 2011

More on the 52

And here I thought we were done with "52" as a concept. Yet here we are, gearing up for a clean sweep of the DC Universe and a reintroduction of the line with fifty-two new series.

Now, as an historian of the DC Universe I'm going to be more than a little disappointed if everything gets wiped out. But you know what? I think I'll get over it. There is far too much potential in a restart of this sort.

Even if some of my favorite characters get wiped out in this reboot I'll be okay with that. If Cassandra Cain goes away forever, well... I'll deal. Honestly, the idea that Barbara Gordon might come back as Batgirl is more than a bit appealing to me.

Perhaps we can purge Nightwing entirely; I'll certainly miss Tim Drake, but making Dick Grayson Robin again would go a long way to returning the DC to a state where it is at its most recognizable.

I think that the DC animated universe is the best example for this. In order to make things palatable to a mass audience everything got stripped down to the core of what made it work. And it was enormously successful.

Will they go this route? I don't really know. My biggest fear is that in making the DCU "younger" and "fresher" it will start to look too much like Marvel. That has never worked in the past and it won't work now. But if they go back to the core of the characters, then we may see something stupendous.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 3:36 PM, Blogger SallyP said...

I'm still not quite sure exactly HOW drastic all of this is going to be. But if they are going to be cleaning up some of their messes...well, that can only be a good thing. Getting rid of that whole "Cry for Justice" disaster, with Roy and his cat-killing ways is an excellent point to start a reboot.

And if they start bringing back some of my favorite dead heroes and heroines, then I shall be delighted indeed.

 
At 6:41 PM, Blogger ShellyS said...

While there are things I'd love to see go away, restoring Dick Grayson as Robin, or even Nightwing, is not what I want to read. I can't go backward and if I want to read something new, I'll seek out new characters, like, maybe check on the independents or catch up on GNs.

I'm all for DC trying to grab new and younger readers. That's the best way to stay viable. But it's clear that 50-something readers are really not the demographic they want to hold on to.

I'm actually getting giddy at the thought of all the extra money I might have come fall, because I don't think I'll be buying 30 or more DC titles a month after the summer. In fact, I know I won't.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home