Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Paging Doctor Psycho

Okay, so I just finished reading Robin #150. I'm sure you can all guess how I'm going to react.

Paging Doctor Psycho! We need a Deus ex Machina here, stat!

Seriously. Give me hackneyed mind control. Give me evil twin or anti-matter universe counterpart. Because the "Cassandra Cain" we see in Robin goes against everything established about the character in 73 issues of her solo series.

So a character who spent more than two-thirds of her life proving that we aren't what we're born to be does a 180 on that?

A character who -- honest to God -- cried when she thought she'd killed the freakin' Shadow Thief decides that murder is the best way to go?

A character who already knew that she was one of many would suddenly go bonkers when she found out Cain had yet another kid?

I could accept her being a villain. Maybe. But not like this. It makes too little sense. It goes against character development. It goes against everything.

But then, maybe others are right. Perhaps I am overreacting. I mean, it's not like DC would ever take a character with a strong fanbase and turn them into a wild-eyed, maniacal killer who...

HAL JORDAN: Hey.

DIAMONDROCK: Oh, hey Hal. Anyway, as I was saying...

...

Waitaminute. This is exactly what they did to you!

HJ: Sure looks that way.

DR: So what's your take on Cassandra Cain's incredibly out of character turn towards villainy?

HJ: Giant yellow space bug. That's the only possible explanation. Well, maybe an orange space bug.

DR: I'll buy that.

DOCTOR POLARIS: JORDAN!

HJ: Oh, hey Neal.

DP: I am Doctor Polaris, fool! What are you doing here? This is my blog!

DR: Actually, it's my...

DP: Silence! I ask again, Jordan: why are you here?

HJ: Just taking care of a few things. I've got a hot date with a lady blogger tonight. *winks*

DP: *shakes fist* Curse you, Jordan!

DR: And... I think that's enough for today.

2 Comments:

At 10:17 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

I amazed Hal managed to make that cameo without hitting his head on the comment box or something.

I've still got my fingers crossed that it's all a facade, she's just pretending to see how Robin weathered the last year or so.

 
At 12:32 AM, Blogger James Meeley said...

Perhaps this "out of character" attitude will be one of the focus points in "52".

I'd be adverse to saying this is "wrong", just because (according to cannon) over a year has past since we last saw her. A lot can happen to a person in a year. If this gets a rational/interesting explanation (either in Robin or 52) I don't think I'd have a problem with it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home