Thursday, June 22, 2006

Puzzlement

So, by now we've all met Kathy "Kate" Kane -- the one destined to be the new Batwoman. Some people surely love her already. I bet others hate her guts. Me? I find myself shockingly indifferent. And I have no idea why.

Part of it's probably because she's so tied into the Renee Montoya story. I'm not really enjoying the Montoya story. Too much Montoya. Not enough Question. Not nearly enough Question.

Another part is that I'm finding the implied relationship between Ms. Kane and Montoya to be... Well, I'm not finding it to be anything. It just doesn't seem real to me.

But in the end, those are all problems I have with Renee Montoya. Kathy Kane just hasn't made much of an impression on me. I know her entrance was supposed to be all impressive -- "Look! A beautiful woman in a dress!" -- but it's nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before.

Don't get me wrong; I don't dislike Kathy Kane at all. And some of my indifference probably stems from all the hype surrounding the character. She really is just another supporting cast member, after all. But a far as supporting cast members go, she ain't no Alfred.

But I'll give her time to grow on me. I guess she'll probably be getting some more face time in 52. But I'd still rather have a faceless goon than a beautiful redhead. I wonder what that says about me?

5 Comments:

At 7:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, they haven't really shown us or said much about her but OMG LESBIAN, which... doesn't tell me anything about her personally strangely enough. Sure, she kisses chicks, but.. why?
Here's to giving her a few issues to flesh out.

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, you might be overthinking something that's basically a cameo.

 
At 9:34 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

You're both undoubtedly correct. So far she's pretty much a blank slate. We don't know anything *important* about her. But then, overthinking things is one of my specialties...

 
At 12:55 AM, Blogger Tom Foss said...

I understand that it was a way to introduce her into the storyline, but it reminds me of the old comic stereotype that all black characters are somehow related to each other. Look, Renee's a lesbian cop who works for the other lesbian cop and dated the lesbian superhero!

But I'm willing to give her a chance. I think I already like her better than Kathy Duquesne from the Mystery of the Batwoman movie.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Steven said...

it reminds me of the old comic stereotype that all black characters are somehow related to each other. Look, Renee's a lesbian cop who works for the other lesbian cop and dated the lesbian superhero!

I understand that reaction, but in the former case, Maggie Sawyer, who was in a long term, open relationship, was used in contrast to Montoya, who, because of her Catholic family, was trying painfully to stay in the closet.

And in the latter case, I think you're looking at it backwards.

It's not that they're both lesbians, so of course they have a history together.

It's that they have a history together, and Montoya IS gay, so of course Kate Kane is a lesbian. (or bi, or just bi-curious, I guess, but, y'know, still a corrupting force on our precious, precious children.)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home