Saturday, July 01, 2006

Gone But Not Forgotten

Does anybody out there remember Resurrection Man? I sure do. It ran for 27 issues and was written by Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning with art by Butch Guice (current artist of Sword of Atlantis).

It was a pretty wild book.

It starred a fellow by the name of Mitch Shelley. Old Mitch has a special ability, you see. Every time he dies he comes back to life. With a different superpower. Hence "Resurrection Man."

Resurrection Man was very different from your conventional superhero book (which is probably why it didn't last long). But as Batman told Mitch: "You're a hero. Just not that kind of hero."

The comic really focused more on the personal stories. Whereas most modern superhero comics deal with enormous events of nigh cosmic significance, Mitch Shelley made a difference on a smaller -- but no less important -- scale.

Resurrection Man is one of my favorite comics ever. I've reread the entire run many times (like I did earlier today). If you've never read Resurrection Man try and hunt it down. I guarantee you won't be disappointed.

4 Comments:

At 1:02 PM, Blogger Scipio said...

Ever heard of Multi-Man?

 
At 11:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay, since you gave it such a great review, I bought the whole run on ebay for $22 (with $5 shipping) - sounds like fun. I've only read the One Millionth issue.

 
At 1:39 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Well, I certainly hope that you enjoy it as much as I do. I'd say that for a buck an issue you're getting a pretty darn good deal.

(And for the record I have not heard of Multi-Man)

 
At 10:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I LOVED it, and have the whole
run fortunately. One of my favorites, was the issue where Hitman keeps killing him until he
comes up with a decent power. What a hoot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home