Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Beginning of the End

Well, I'm going to come right out and say it: I think I'm actually back.

And not back in a whimsical way wherein I disappear again for days on end. Back as in I'm going to start talking about comics again. I'll begin with the biggest comic event of the year to actually arrive on schedule (cheap shot, I know; I'm getting my groove back). I speak, of course, of 52.

Now let me say right off the bat that I am enjoying 52. I'm enjoying it quite a bit. The building mystery has me intrigued, and I'm finding that many of the characters are clicking with me on an interesting level. The odd thing is that it's none of the characters I'm really supposed to be interested in.

What I mean is that the Question's story isn't catching me. Though some of that could be the fact that he's spending all his time with Montoya, who I can't stand. Steel's story isn't working well either (why did they have to give him powers?) and Ralph Dibny's just nuts. And despite all the hype, Batwoman continues to bore me.

So who am I interested in? Well, I love the crazy Magnus & Morrow duo. Those guys are fantastic. You never know what they'll do next. And then there's Supernova. Even if he's barely done anything I get the same feeling that Clark Kent does: he's the real deal.

But despite the fact that some of the stories within 52 bore me, I'm still loving the series. Because it's really true that these stories can't work on their own. They're intertwined, and are building up to something. Already it looks like three of the main characters are having their stories come together into one. Before long we'll probably see a further convergence. I wouldn't be at all surprised if all the stories came together before the end.

And if they do, that'll be one hell of a trip.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home