Tuesday, November 14, 2006

The Curious Journey of Cassandra Cain

Oh yes my friends... It's another one of those posts. I've got me a mission, and I'm sticking to it. So let's move right on to the points brought to my attention by the arrival of DC's February Solicitations.

You see, I've noticed a... Curious trend regarding Casssandra. Bear with me for a moment.

When the downward spiral began, it was very clear that they were leading Cass away from being Batgirl. She'd thrown the identity away at the end of her series and it seemed that that was the last time we'd see her in costume.

Her appearances in Robin continued this trend. Rather than being a costumed hero/villain she was the leader of the League of Assassins. And then there was the Supergirl solicit that indicated that Cassandra Cain and "her League of Assassins" would be going up against Supergirl.

But then something changed (I'm not quite sure what). Cassandra was announced as being a member of Deathstroke's Titans East... As Batgirl. As many posters and bloggers in various places have noticed, this seems to completely contradict DC's original course for her. And as the February solicits show, the "postponed" story seems to have been retooled... Making it Batgirl versus Supergirl rather than Cassandra Cain versus Supergirl.

Now, as far as I can tell they originally decided to stick her in the League of Assassins and then changed their minds. Tactics were changed either because Geoff Johns had what was perceived as a good idea (the most likely explanation) or because they misinterpreted the reaction to her evilification as "fans are angry because she's not Batgirl anymore."

I'll admit that I haven't completely given up hope (though that's probably just me being naive). After all, the solicitation for Supergirl #14 doesn't say why Batgirl and Supergirl are fighting. I mean, how many times have Batman and Superman fought?

But yeah, I'm not holding my breath.

5 Comments:

At 9:00 AM, Blogger googum said...

Is that a Kryptonite batarang? I'm not sure how practical that would be, but that is kind of cool.

If you were going to have a Kryptonite weapon, traditionally it would be something designed to break a Kryptonian's invulnerable skin, like a knife or a bullet. A Kryptonite baseball bat, for instance, would probably do the job, just less efficiently. Unless it shatters...

And another productive afternoon shot in the foot...

 
At 10:01 AM, Blogger CalvinPitt said...

Yeah, who can say why they're fighting? Supergirl hasn't been that much of a hero so far, maybe her dark half reasserted control again.

And the hope lives on...

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep posts like these coming, DC needs to be aware that Batigrl Fans are pissed.

 
At 11:47 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I assume that they are fighting because of Supergirl's total lack of fashion sense. Cassandra may have been turned evil, but at least she knows that you don't wear a skirt to fly in.

 
At 6:03 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

googum: Yeah, I'm not so sure how well that'll work. In fact, I doubt she'll actually have one in the comic itself. It's one of *those* covers.

Cal: I will not let hope die.

DCUBoy: As long as I'm still pissed, I imagine the posts will keep coming. And I don't see that changing any time soon...

Sally: Damn straight.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home