Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Countown to BOOM

You know, I'm not completely certain that this whole "multiverse" thing isn't a complete fakeout. In fact, I'm starting to believe that that's exactly what it is.

When they brought the stupid thing back they talked a lot about the infinite possibilities inherent in the concept. That may be so. But what have we really seen happen with the multiverse?

Well, we've got Monarch scouring worlds and slaying dopplegangers left and right. He's conscripting all the rest into his wacky army. And on the other side of things you got Superboy -- excuse me, Superman Prime -- destroying Earths wholesale.

So here's the question I've got... How exactly can you have a multiverse if everybody who lives there has been killed or drafted into a conquering army? How can you have a multiverse if the fifty-two Earths are being destroyed by a maniac one at a time?

No, my friends. I fear that this multiverse we have been granted is merely a stopgap. It is a temporary measure. When the last page turns on Final Crisis there will be one Earth again.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

At 8:40 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Makes perfect sense to me. I imagine we'll all be pretty exhausted by then, as well.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

That has to be the fastest *anyone* has *ever* commented here. Congratulations.

 
At 9:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know,it's not ALWAYS about Earth;What are all the OTHER planets in The Multiverse doing?

 
At 1:42 PM, Blogger Will said...

It'll either be folding it all back into one Earth or the resurrection of an infinite Multiverse. I think the one Earth, which is what we've all become so used to, seems more likely though.

 
At 9:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I sure hope there will be only one Earth by the end of all this.

I kind of hoped they would do more with the concept of 52 parallel Earths but they really haven't done anything that interesting.

Just remember Rip Hunter mentioned something about how the 52 were the start of something called the Megaverse. Just saying...

 
At 10:32 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

Yes, a return to the one Earth concept (which really can't stand for long) is what I've been afraid of.

 
At 1:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I also don't want a return to a single Earth, but they have really squandered the Multiverse so far. I mean thus far they're not even treated as real. They're all outright stated to be corrupt copies of the one "real Earth".

The stories told in Countdown and its endless tie-ins are either villains justifying killing the multiverse because they're not "really real" or being used as an escape device for the heroes from the "Real Earth".

I like the idea of the multiverse, but it's not presented as an interesting idea here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home