Monday, January 07, 2008

Guess Who I Can't Stand?

Everybody is talking about that Spider-Man story "One More Day." I've heard a bit about it and I've read a bit about it and I've even seen a little bit of it. And though I don't usually talk about such things here, who am I to pass up an opportunity to heap well-deserved scorn upon Marvel?

So here goes: Peter Parker is a selfish jerk. As far as I can tell everything he does in "One More Day" is about him. So Aunt May is dying. Yes, I understand that. But why does Peter want to save her life? Not because of her. It's because of Peter Parker. Peter Parker is unwilling to live without her. He doesn't really think about what she would want.

Think about it... He's standing there, talking to the freakin' devil. If the devil exists, then logically God does as well. I don't know if Aunt May or Peter Parker are particularly religious people. But I'd imagine that Aunt May might be a lot happier up in Heaven with the one guy in comics who hasn't come back from the dead. Just a thought.

But here's the other thing. Someone said to me that Peter Parker's life was pretty crappy. Uh, no. Now he's got his Aunt back, a couple of blonde hotties (presumably) vying for his affections, his best friend's alive, his secret identity is secret, and he doesn't even remember what happened.

So who's getting the shaft here? It's not Spider-Man. Things seem pretty good for him. Then who? That's right, It's Mary Jane. I don't know what's happened to poor Mary Jane, but like the man says... She's getting screwed. She's the one who's lost everything. Spider-Man hasn't made any real sacrifices.

He should be ashamed of himself.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that Marvel's problem is that sometimes they refuse to let characters change.

Apparently it would be a terrible thing if Spiderman were forced to be a Man. But hey, apparently Quesada wants his comics reading more like Days of Our Lives...

And God forbid Parker getting older. Maybe Quesada is trying to live vicariously through Peter Parker...?

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I can only assume that this all happened because MJ refused to make Peter Wheatcakes. In his subconcious mind, he NEEDED those beloved Wheatcakes, and was therefore prepared to do ANYTHING to achieve them! Even make a deal with the devil!

I have the same feeling about Heath bars.

 
At 3:24 PM, Blogger The Mutt said...

This could be the start of a big heel turn for Mary Jane. She asked Mephisto for superpowers so she could become Dark Jackpot.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home