Wednesday, January 09, 2008

History

Last week Scipio talked about how sometimes comics can bleed into your other pastimes. But have you ever had your other pastimes bleed into comics? It happened to me this very day.

I haven't had much to do this week at work, so I've been sitting at my desk doing research for a project of mine set in the Napoleonic Era. I don't have a lot of background in that area of history, but I was lucky enough to receive some fine volumes on it for Christmas from my parents. (Thanks Mom & Dad!)

I completed Charles W. Ingrao's The Habsburg Monarchy 1618-1815 yesterday, I started on David Gates' Warfare in the Nineteenth Century today. Both books have proved immensely valuable for my research (as well as being incredibly entertaining). I finished the relevant Napoleonic sections of the Gates book early in the day, so I decided to move onto the later, less pertinant (if still entertaining) sections.

I was reading the chapter entitled "The American Civil War" when I saw it. Right there on page 146. A name I'd seen before, but never in a history book. The name was Jeb Stuart.

Most of you probably know J. E. B. Stuart as the ghostly Confederate that inhabits Bob Kanigher's immortal creation The Haunted Tank. That's certainly where I've heard the name. But here's the kicker: until today I did not know that Jeb Stuart was a real person.

When I saw his name I immediately sat up straight in my chair. I wasn't sure if I was seeing things or not. I read it again. Then a third time. I checked the context to make sure David Gates wasn't playing a joke. He was not. So I jumped out of my chair, ran to the computer, and put "Jeb Stuart" into Wikipedia. Sure enough, there he is.

Now, before you get all on me about not knowing that Jeb Stuart was real, cut me some slack. My specialty is Japan's Tokugawa Era, for Pete's sake! I mean, how am I supposed to keep track of every Confederate general? Besides, I'm from Illinois -- I'm for the other guys.

My point is that here I was, going blissfully about my day when suddenly the real world goes and injects itself into my favorite hobby. For a non-comics reading person, it would go the other way: they'd be surprised to find that someone had taken Jeb Stuart and turned him into a comic book character. Me? I was surprised to find that he was real first.

Please tell me Jonah Hex is also real.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

At 8:37 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

As a History Major, I am now banging my head against the desk...but I forgive you.

Yes, Jeb Stuart was a real person. The "Jeb" comes from the first initials of James Ewall Brown Stuart. He was a damned fine cavalry leader for the Confederacy, but boy howdy, did he screw up at Gettysburg!

Napoleonic history eh? Actually I'm a Duke of Wellington fan, but my goodness, they had the best uniforms...ever!

 
At 10:30 AM, Blogger Scipio said...

"until today I did not know that Jeb Stuart was a real person."

Zowie.

The actual point of the Haunted Tank was that tanks in WWII were rough equivalents of the cavalry in the Civil War. Hence the connection to Stuart, the War's supreme cavalryman.

Ah, Virginia, Jonah Hex is real, for he lives in the hearts and minds of children everywhere.

 
At 2:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personnaly, I always liked how Gen. Anthony Wayne. was related to Batman

 
At 4:23 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Well, I confess to my ignorance. But like I said, cut me some slack.

How many of the calvary leaders at the Battle of Sekigahara do *you* know? I know lots...

 
At 7:39 PM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

I'd join in the mocking, but everything I know about Civil War history I got from Harry Turtledove novels...

Of course everything I know about the Japanese feudal period comes from Usagi Yojimbo comics...

 
At 12:00 AM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

I appreciate the support, Lurker. If that's what it was...

 
At 3:44 AM, Blogger LurkerWithout said...

Yeah pretty much.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home