Saturday, April 12, 2008

Booster Gold #8

Okay, so Booster Gold #8 was fantastic. Seeing Wild Dog again was like a dream come true. I know some people are upset because he got killed right after he came back... But hey, that was an alternate Wild Dog. The real Wild Dog is undoubtedly still hunting terrorists through cornfields back in Illinois and Iowa.

This is the thing I love about alternate universe/time travel stories. You can do things like that. You can bring back Wild Dog without messing up current continuity. And you can bring back Pantha even though she got her head knocked off. With time travel anything is possible.

You can even get away with having characters have the wrong costume (Wild Dog has a full goalie helmet, not just mask) or have characters act out of character (Wild Dog being a little more trigger happy than he's previously been depicted). And this is all okay. Because you can explain it away by saying: OMACs!

This is the joy of comics. This is the joy of Booster Gold.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At 7:53 AM, Blogger Chandu said...

Nice post. For more entertainment visit: http://vijayachandru.blogspot.com/

 
At 10:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for that, Chandu. Oy. Spammers really need to learn some new tricks.

Anyway, I really enjoyed the comic too. I'd only previously heard of Wild Dog on your blog, so it was nice to actually get to see him.

I know you said he was a little out of character, but I'd like to see this more comedic version in the regular DCU. I think somebody in the Absorbascon pointed out that it's funny that in DC (as opposed to Marvel) the idea of a violent, gun-toting superhero is seen as inherently ridiculous -instead of being a badass mary-sue.

-Phil

 
At 10:51 PM, Blogger Diamondrock said...

Yes, our dear friend Chandu was quite prompt in his reply to my post. Eerily prompt...

As to your point, I agree entirely. The original Wild Dog series -- though taking the character more or less seriously -- was still quite tongue in cheek.

And I'm totally with the idea that a gun-toting hyper-violent vigilante is just that in the DCU. That's the way I like to see it. I wouldn't complain *at all* if we saw more Wild Dog in that vein.

 
At 11:38 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Ah, the joy of time travel. Booster Gold can basically come up with practically ANY story, no matter how wacky, and it can all be explained.

I love it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home