Wednesday, June 04, 2008

Trinity

Okay, so Trinity starts tomorrow (or today, depending on how you look at it; the time zone change always befuddles me). I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Trinity will be better than 52. Way better. I did not make a similar prediction about Countdown. Thank Highfather I didn't!

Anyway, here's why Trinity will be better than 52 (and by extension Countdown): Kurt Busiek and Mark Bagley.

Now what exactly do I mean by that? Am I saying that Mr. Busiek and Mr. Bagley are better at what they do than the people who worked on 52 and Countdown? Not all all. The reason why Trinity is going to be so good is continuity. And not the kind that tells us the history of the DC Universe.

Week in, week out, we're going to get a comic written and drawn by the same two storytellers. Every single week. That's like getting a monthly comic weekly. That's going to have a very different feel to me than 52 and Countdown -- both of which were primarily "events."

Everything points to Trinity being different. All the signs say that this comic is not going to be about events. It's going to be about one solid story. It's not going to have crossovers. It's not leading up to anything. It's just going to be solid, beautiful superhero storytelling starring three of the greatest fictional characters ever conceived.

What more could we ask for?

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

At 10:14 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

I do hope that Trinity is going to be good. As you say, having one author and one artist should help enormously. I already KNOW that it's going to be better than Countdown, but better than 52?

I guess we'll wait and see.

 
At 3:10 PM, Blogger Nick said...

Bagley doing the art for this series is a sound choice, dude can straight up get his work done ON TIME.

Busiek I am a tad iffy about, he did some nice work on the Up, Up and Away storyline over on Superman but, Geoff Johns was helping on that story too...so I have a smidge of skepticism.

 
At 9:05 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Well there's that, but also there's the other reason. Trinity is going to tell it's own story. Not serve as a bridge between the past and the present as 52 did between Infinite Crisis and One Year Later, or a bridge between the present and the future as countdown did between One Year Later and Final Crisis. Therefore I think it is going to be better because no pretzel logic will be required to make sure the story reaches a point that is not organic to what's gone before.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home