Wednesday, April 01, 2009

The Flash: Rebirth

I'm not sure how to feel about Flash: Rebirth.

I think it's probably a generational thing. After all, when Barry Allen "died" in Crisis I was only three years old. By the time I was reading comics Wally West had already been the Flash for quite a long time. And unlike Hal Jordan, Barry Allen didn't show up much. Even after his death Hal Jordan had a constant presence in the DCU. Barry did as well, but only as much as a dead, sainted figure.

So I'm having difficulty with Flash: Rebirth. This Barry Allen is a stranger to me. He is not someone I've known. But unlike with truly new characters I feel like I'm the only one who doesn't know him. All the characters in the story are ecstatic to see him. The villains are concerned. And I feel like I'm that guy who was brought along to a wedding or birthday party for someone he doesn't know.

Now, I'm not saying I'm not enjoying the book. There's a nice mystery being set up, and some of Barry Allen's background is explored. But I guess I still feel a little on the outside. I'm not one who gets why Barry Allen is seen as so spectacular and special by everyone else. Jay Garrick claiming that Barry was "first" in some way feels forced. To me, a lot of it feels forced.

But Geoff Johns is smart enough, I know. Because there's someone in the story representing me: Bart Allen. Some people might say that Bart is being portrayed out of character. But he needs to be there in that way in the story. Bart is hitting all the right beats and feeling just like I do. He doesn't understand why it's all a big deal. He feels that Wally earned his position as the Flash. He feels that everyone acts (perhaps wrongly) like Barry is some sort of "messiah."

So Geoff Johns knows that there are people like me out there. People who aren't convinced. And he'll try to convince us. I know Bart will eventually be convinced. But will he convince me that Barry Allen is something special?

We shall see.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

At 8:50 AM, Blogger SallyP said...

Well, I like Barry, so I'm glad to see him again. I also like him being a little unsure about the whole thing. And Bart is back to his little snarky self, which is wonderful, since I hated him all grown up and stuff. Wally was sweet as usual.

And Jay was there! I LOVE Jay. It was a nice first issue, but I am assuming that we'll get to the real meat of the series with the next one.

 
At 9:42 AM, Blogger Third World Diplomat said...

I feel the same way about Barry Allen. I believe it really is a generational thing. To me, Wally West is THE Flash. For almost 20 years, he's the Flash I know and care about. Barry Allen to me was the dead Flash replaced by Wally. And I always thought that Wally bacame greater than the man he replaced.

As a fan, I feel slighted that suddenly, somebody comes back from the dead to replace Wally as the top Flash.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Maxo said...

"Forced" is the perfect way to sum it up. Like SallyP, I'm hoping it eases into some sort of rhythm in the next issue.

I wouldn't be surprised if it is some generational thing; I have affection for Barry because I grew up on his as the Flash. That said, I thought it was perfectly fine to leave him dead.

 
At 9:38 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

I also am having trouble with the hype surrounding Barry. Having said that I am only reading this mini for Bart so he'd better have a vital role to play. And come out being fun and lighthearted again.

 
At 12:08 AM, Blogger Will said...

Yeah, I think DD is way off the mark thinking of Barry Allen as the iconic Flash.

So far he seems like a really fastidious guy whose presence on the page makes me uncomfortable. You know like when you meet people who are so awkward their awkwardness makes you awkward as well.

I also want Legion of Three Worlds to be over so I can have the stuff with Bart better resolved in my mind before jumping into this story with him. Thank God they've finally thrown Tim a bone. I mean, his life sucks like Daredevil's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home