Friday, May 22, 2009

Mmm... Refreshing...

It was quite a week for comics, what with Battle for the Cowl and Supergirl. I may talk about Battle for the Cowl tomorrow, but I want to talk about Supergirl right now.

The whole of New Krypton has been a bit unexpected to me. I didn't really expect any of it to work. Surprisingly, it does seem to be working. Even more shockingly, Supergirl is managing to keep pace with the quality of the other Super-books. After all the missteps and false starts for the book and character over the past few years, it's a breath of fresh air.

Even more refreshing is the fact that Supergirl has managed to shock me. Precious few comics are able to shock me these days. Battle for the Cowl had some interesting revelations, but nothing particularly shocking. But the last few pages of this week's Supergirl had me staring at the book with my jaw dropped. Characters die in comics all the time. But rarely do we see deaths that play out like that.

The events of the Superwoman storyline will undoubtedly have far reaching consequences for Supergirl. Fortunately, I have absolutely no idea what those will be. And that's a nice change of pace...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 4:27 AM, Blogger Saranga said...

I loved this week's issue of Supergirl. There is no way in hell I would have predicted the story playing out like that. Whichever way it goes now, it's gonna be interesting.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home