Monday, May 11, 2009

Writers

The writer of the upcoming Batgirl series appears to be some guy named Bryan Q. Miller. Sounds like a pseudonym to me, but hey.

I often wonder exactly how the major companies seize upon new writers. A lot of it seems to come via television. A great many of the current stock of writers on both sides of the street got their start in television. Or even the movies. You've got a smaller group that seem to have come via prose, but other than that...

I imagine a lot of it comes down to who you know. We know that the current writer of Supergirl, Sterling Gates more or less got a shot at writing comics because he knew Geoff Johns. And Geoff Johns got a start because he was working for Richard Donner. At least that's how I remember it.

It's all about the networking. That's true in pretty much every field an occupation. I know that part of the reason why I've got what I've got for the fall (more on that at a later date) because of who I know.

So what hope is there for those who aren't "connected"? What about those people who want to write comics for the Big Two but don't know anybody? Well, I don't know. And luckily I'm eccentric and don't want to work for them. But I imagine it's like anything else: hard work, practice, and a lotta luck.

Hmm, this post was supposed to be about Batgirl. Let me just say that I'll definitely pick it up for a few issues. I'm willing to give this "B. Q. Miller" a chance. After all, another unknown with an obviously fake name has worked out pretty well on another "girl" title...

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

At 7:57 AM, Blogger Sea-of-Green said...

Yep, networking is a HUGE part of the entire entertainment industry. There are also writer conferences held in the USA and other countries every year. They're good places for newbie writers (including comic book writers) to meet and hook up with people to get them into these networks. Comic book conventions aren't as useful for networking, because they're mostly for fans and insiders who DON'T run the industry.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home